Thoughts Please?

darren24

Market
Reaction score
I have a 60 cube with an ATI Powermodule (LED and T5's) over it. The tank has been up and running for well over a year. I have not changed anything recently and all parameters are in check (see below). The issue I am having is that my chalices and lps on the sand bed are not growing much at all. I have always had good luck with chalices / LPS and good growth. The only thing I can think of is that they have grown and I have added corals to the sand bed where they are very close together. Not close enough to sting each other but VERY close. Could the "crowded" situation stunt their growth? Thanks for any input.

Salinity: between .24 and .25
KH/ ALK: 9.6
Temp: 78-79.5
Mag: 1250
Cal: 390

I use Reef Crystals and always have. I do 5-10G water changes 2x a week.

Ever ran a par meter where the corals are at? Chalices just grow slow, but other LPS should be doing fine.

Light was added about 6 months ago and REALLY made a difference. I just had LED's before. The T5's brought out the colors very quickly. So it is not a lighting issue I just have a feeling that corals can sense when they are approaching another one. I will be able to tell if they start growing good again when I move them to the 120G.

Darren wonder if water is too good? I know LPS and chalices like dirty water to an extent. They kinda feed off higher nutrients.

Hmmm never thought of that. I will try cutting back a little on my water changes and see what happens. Thanks. :)

merkywater;961773 wrote: Darren wonder if water is too good? I know LPS and chalices like dirty water to an extent. They kinda feed off higher nutrients.

+1. Feed little more or try Oyster-Feast

Darren, they may be getting too much light. Are they shaded? I have to move my rainbow under a ledge. Mine are grwoing really well. What are your light settings?

Matt you may have a point. I did change the settings a couple of months back to make it "brighter". Please PM me your email and I will send you the file I am using for them now. If you would be so kind as to take a look and let me know your thoughts. :)

Back