Threadfin Cardinals

FutureInterest

Market
Reaction score
Anyone in the club have any threadfin cardinals, Apogon leptacanthus</em>? Any positive experiences or negative?

to me they look like big jawed tetras (not a real fish, but just a description)...google the scientific name, you'll get a picture.

what makes you interested? seen them at a lfs? or just curious?

I've had other cardinals, and I really like them.

I was up in DC over the past week and at a restaurant I saw these in a reef tank. They school/shoal very very well. They also have very bright blue highlights which is stunning. I'm a sucker for bright blues... and I think shoaling/schooling is just fun to watch. I used to have chromis but they tend to get a lil aggressive over time towards each other. These I hear are much less aggressive, better at schooling, prettier in general, and less common which is a plus.

I just found a pretty good review on them at the following link with pics:
index.php

all cardinals school. If fact, I've always been told pairs or threes are better. (though I cannot say if most can do more than 3). When I was into my FW tanks I always wanted schooling fish, but could never get it to work. You have to have a predator that encourages them to school or they'll just pair up and take a corner or if the predator is to strong it'll just eat them up.

Just my experience, not necessarily research.

Thanks for the input :). Yah well these were schooling nicely and there was no predator to speak of... Unless you count the lil kids tapping on the glass!

I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with these in particular. Anyone?

FutureInterest;191616 wrote: Thanks for the input :). Yah well these were schooling nicely and there was no predator to speak of... Unless you count the lil kids tapping on the glass!

I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with these in particular. Anyone?

lol i would call them a big predator

me too, I had some glow fish that would school only when I put my hand in the tank.

FutureInterest;191616 wrote: Thanks for the input :). Yah well these were schooling nicely and there was no predator to speak of... Unless you count the lil kids tapping on the glass!

Jin, those are beautiful!

I'd join that message board and pick the brain of that particular hobbyist. Sounds like he/she has a lot of experience with the threadfins.

hard to find and usually run about $20-$30 each, other then that same as every other cardinal.

stickx911;191615 wrote: all cardinals school. If fact, I've always been told pairs or threes are better. (though I cannot say if most can do more than 3). When I was into my FW tanks I always wanted schooling fish, but could never get it to work. You have to have a predator that encourages them to school or they'll just pair up and take a corner or if the predator is to strong it'll just eat them up.

Just my experience, not necessarily research.

Nope, not true.

hard to find and usually run about $20-$30 each, other then that same as every other cardinal.

Nope not true either.

These are one of the few cardinal that can tolerate bigger groups peaceably. Many, or most, cardinals will pair up, and "dust up" with the others of their species.

These guys are also TERRIBLE shippers. Be sure to get the from a good source. They are slow to learn to eat, and very sensitive to aggression.

I had a trio for a long while in my 120, but they bored me a bit, so I sold them as a group after 4 years in my tank, and not one survived the 45 minute trip to the new home.

Jin, I've seen those many times at MF. I'll let you know if I see any more.

Yea, I second that, thanks for the info. Like I said, I had not done any research and have limited experience, but just thought I'd share what I've seen or have been told.

Are there any other small salt water fish that are better shippers that like to be in a large school?

Back