Tiling the bottom (inside) a stand?

darren24

Market
Reaction score
Anyone ever heard of this? Seems like I read about someone doing this. Sounds like it would make it easier to clean up spills, drips, etc. Thoughts?

I've heard of plenty of stories of tanks breaking because the stand wasn't level - it changes the pressure balance of the water against the sides. Since they're no longer equal, the tank can't take the pressure.

I wouldn't try it...

Chris, did you think he said "tilting?"

Darren, if I had to do it all over again I would coat the inside of my stand with epoxy over paint. Seems easier than tile.

I know of an individual who made plywood tanks and coated them with a marine epoxy. I think this is an awesome idea

I am not 100% sold on the idea of tiling a stand. We don't need to add any more weight to the already heavy tank. As well as the fact that you would have to continually seal the grout. I don't know how the salt would affect the time and grout over time.

OOPS! "The court will disregard that last statement"

Sorry about that! :stupid:

I just finished tiling my bathroom and I think the biggest problem would be the noise.

I have not tiled the tank stand, but I did install a plastic liner inside the stand. I used the same material that they use in small backyard ponds and glued it into place. Worked great. If I overflowed my sump it did not run away. Just make sure that you don't keep any electronics on the bottom of the stand :ahh:

It also made cleaning up salt creep really easy.

I am going to spray paint epoxy the bottom of my new stand for the 160 Cube. Over time will protect the wood from the water splashing, spilling and creep.

ha, that's how i read it too! darn disleksia.

wbholwell;93907 wrote: Chris, did you think he said "tilting?"

Darren, if I had to do it all over again I would coat the inside of my stand with epoxy over paint. Seems easier than tile.

What I did with the inside of my stand is used a PVC liner--it's thick, durable, flexible sheeting used for shower/bath liners, and sold relatively cheap at Lowe's/HD. The great advantages of doing this are that it's smooth (no wrinkles) and easy to clean/wipe up spills, there's no grout to worry about, and you can actually use PVC cement to seal any seams. I used tack nails to tack it down to the bottom/sides of my stand, and PVC cement around a central drain line that goes through the floor into my crawlspace for emptying the tank or doing water changes.

This liner has been great, and has prevented gallons of water from getting onto my hardwoods (120 year old heart pine floor...)
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
93961=5889-Finished tank shots 006.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
93961=5889-Finished tank shots 006.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Finished tank shots 006.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
93961=5890-Finished tank shots 007.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
93961=5890-Finished tank shots 007.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Finished tank shots 007.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
93961=5891-Finished tank shots 008.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
93961=5891-Finished tank shots 008.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Finished tank shots 008.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Marine places will sell a rubber type compound. It is used on the bottom of Jon Boats alot...paint it on, dries and will help with sound deadening and no more ugly seapage.. GREAT STUFF!!

I was going to suggest the stuff jesse used. You can also use lanolium (sp?), it's cheaper and very very easy to cut/use.

I used a high quality exterior paint with about 5 coats and then caulked the hell out of the inside. I have actually flooded that area and it does hold water like a champ. Cheap, easy and will likely hold up longer than the stand.

Back