Time to purchase new test kits

ghbrewer

Market
Reaction score
Alright, so I have been using the Red Sea Reef Foundation and Algae Control kits for quite some time. I notice that a lot of you are running the Hanna Checkers in conjunction with traditional titration methods. From what I can tell, it seems that the Hanna Alk and ULR Phosphorus test kits are the most popular. Doesn't seem like there is any real time savings with the Hanna Calcium checker, other than getting a number readout vs. having to compare to a color chart. In regards to the Red Sea kits, I do not like the packaged kits, so I am thinking of going with individual test kits.

With that said, here is my shopping list for new test kits:

Hanna Alk Checker + Reagent Refill Kit (25 Tests)
Hanna Phosphorus + Reagent Refill Kit (25 Tests)
Red Sea Calcium Pro Test Kit (75 Tests)
Red Sea Magnesium Pro Test Kit (100 Tests)
Red Sea Nitrate Pro Test Kit (100 Tests)

Should I consider going with the Hanna Calcium checker? Also, are there any better tests than the Red Sea kits that I am looking at getting? Maybe ones that are a little quicker, or easier to use or read? I tend to prefer the Red Sea kits over Salifert, always seemed to be the same accuracy, just better packaging and equipment. Have never tried the Elos kits or Seachem kits, are any of them better or easier to use than the Red Sea kits?

In my opinion the Redsea kits are really good, they are our go-to test kits. Seachem tests are also very good and probably some of the most accurate you can get because they include a reference sample to compare to unlike the other brands. But the Seachem tests are not as easy to use as the Redsea. Hannahs work great just mare sure that they are always calibrated properly. Never used the ELOS personally and the Salifert test kits haven't been the most accurate in my experience.

Also Ecotech is about to start distributing NYOS in the United States. If you haven't heard of them yet it is definitely worth checking out. A really high quality German company that has been rocking the European markets for quite some time now. Plus it says a lot for a company like Ecotech to even consider distributing another brand since they are held in such high regard for having the highest quality products. Unfortunately there is not date yet on when Ecotech will start stocking.

ghbrewer;1030944 wrote: I tend to prefer the Red Sea kits over Salifert, always seemed to be the same accuracy, just better packaging and equipment. Have never tried the Elos kits or Seachem kits, are any of them better or easier to use than the Red Sea kits?

<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">I agree this statement except for their nitrate test. I use Salifert for nitrates, I use whatever is cheapest for Alk, and Red Sea for everything else. I tried a Seachem packaged kit in the past and was not a fan.</span></span>
<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">-Nick </span></span>

Fishdude;1030950 wrote: <span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">I agree this statement except for their nitrate test. I use Salifert for nitrates, I use whatever is cheapest for Alk, and Red Sea for everything else. I tried a Seachem packaged kit in the past and was not a fan.</span></span>
<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">-Nick </span></span>

Why do you prefer the Salifert Nitrate kit?

Acandoit;1030951 wrote: I prefer the Salifert MG over Red Sea more due to the pain in the red sea test, (i.e. add a drop, count to 15, repeat 4 more times).

Yeah, I agree that it is a bit of a pain, but I never it gave it too much thought since I only test Mg once a week. I have only used the Salifert Cal and Alk, so I may need to try the Mg test kit to see the difference.

ghbrewer;1030953 wrote: Why do you prefer the Salifert Nitrate kit?

I may have had a bad kit but I always got the same results with Redsea. (No change before and after 30% WC). When using the salifert kit I can see a clear change depending on how long since my last WC.

I have been using the Elos calcium test for a while and like it, but I have never used an alternative.

aXio;1030947 wrote: In my opinion the Redsea kits are really good, they are our go-to test kits. Seachem tests are also very good and probably some of the most accurate you can get because they include a reference sample to compare to unlike the other brands. But the Seachem tests are not as easy to use as the Redsea. Hannahs work great just mare sure that they are always calibrated properly. Never used the ELOS personally and the Salifert test kits haven't been the most accurate in my experience.

Also Ecotech is about to start distributing NYOS in the United States. If you haven't heard of them yet it is definitely worth checking out. A really high quality German company that has been rocking the European markets for quite some time now. Plus it says a lot for a company like Ecotech to even consider distributing another brand since they are held in such high regard for having the highest quality products. Unfortunately there is not date yet on when Ecotech will start stocking.

Nyos have been available for a little while. I use a couple as a staple part of my testing. I did a write up on them a few months ago.

I've used red sea for 2 years , but have begun replacement as things run out with Hannah.
Also elos p04 and n03 there relatively cheap in price and I find them to be dead nutz accurate to red sea and also easy to get uln reading I can actually make out the difference between 0 and 0.03

DawgFace;1031104 wrote: Nyos have been available for a little while. I use a couple as a staple part of my testing. I did a write up on them a few months ago.

Really? Ecotech has yet to tell me I can order anything =/. Did you order from EU? I would love to see your write up on it as well!

Jakub

Nyos on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/NYOS-Nitrate-Reefer-Aquarium-Test/dp/B00ONI38TK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1430830073&sr=8-2&keywords=nyos">Pet Supplies : NYOS Nitrate (NO3) Reefer Aquarium Test Kit : Amazon.com@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51TsD75e20L.@@AMEPARAM@@51TsD75e20L</a>

I use Red Sea for just about everything but I'll be switching to hanna checkers as I run out of tests simply because the checkers are a much faster test and less likely to variance from user error.

In terms of testing Cal and Alk, I love the titrator that the red sea test uses. That makes things infinitely easier.

Just called Ecotech. NYOS is on it's way to Premier =)

aXio;1031121 wrote: Really? Ecotech has yet to tell me I can order anything =/. Did you order from EU? I would love to see your write up on it as well!

Jakub

Nothing scientific but my thoughts on them at least.

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=97123">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=97123</a>

glad someone is bringing them in. I've attempted to get numerous stores to place an order. I hate going online when I can support local.

Been awhile since I've visited premier. Glad I'll have an excuse now.

Back