Time to remove my clam?

jonboyb

Market
Reaction score
Recently picked up a 4" derasa from another ARC'er that he had had for over 6 months. Beautiful clam and looked very healthy. We run the exact tank and light and clam placement so that shouldn't be an issue. I had to acclimate it for a long time (his SG was high 1.028 and Alk was low around 5 with a pH or 8.0) to get it to my tank parameters of 1.025, Alk 9, and ph 8.4. His tank consistently ran warm too. The clam was open and happy within minutes of placement but over the past week it has steadily declined. Still has good coloration but is somewhat gaping and the mantle is retracted and kinda detached from the shell. Clam still opens and closes when touched but I'm pretty sure it's a goner. I don't want to remove a living clam but I don't see it recovering. The big difference in our tanks is his was VERY low flow and mine is a high flow setup for SPS. I've inspected for pyramid snails etc and I have no fish that nip at it. I think a combination of the change in parameters and flow were too much for it.

Should I give it more time or yank it now before the inevitable?

Before you ask:
Amm/Nitrites=0
Nitrates=Undetectable
PO=Undetectable (but I do not have a low range kit so <.2)
CA=425
MG=1300
SG=1.025
ALK=9+dKh (3.5meq)
PH=8.4
Temp=79

Unless water quality is an issue, why not just leave it until it is certainly gone? You never know. It may bounce back.

Besides, I have lost 2 clams in the past, and as soon as they are dead they are rapidly eaten be CUC and fish, so even water quality might not be an issue.. They must be extremely tasty.

In a 28 gallon I was just concerned about potential spikes. My skimmer is rated for a 75 gallon tank so it can remove excess nastiness pretty quick from my little tank so maybe letting it be is a good alternative.

If you see seperation of teh mantle from the valve, it will not recover. That is "gaping", and I have yet to hear of a clam recover from gaping. What other animals are in this tank? when you say "high flow", what do you mean? Isd it directed at the clam itself? Pics?

I'll get a picture after lights are on. The mantle is "detached" from the shell itself but the valves appear intact. The intake venticle is open wider than it should be though.

As far as animals in the tank they include 2 GBTA's (just split...I'd never add a second), Picasso pair, firefish, 6-line, standard CUC of snails, hermits, etc. with 2 peppermints and a cleaner shrimp, about 15 SPS's, a couple of LPS's, and shrooms/rics/zoas/palys. 150w MH with actinic supplementation.

I have a Koralia Nano (240 gph) and 2 Koralia 1's (400 gph each) in addition to the 2 Accela return pumps (266 gph each) in a 28 gallon. No flow is directly pointed at the clam, but there significant water movement no matter where you are in my tank. I did this primarily for my SPS's as they showed better growth and polyp extension with the added PH's. Particularly my mille's.

Clams need and tolerate flow, just not direct flow. When it looked "good", was the mantle flapping in the flow?

Im not sure what you mean by the valves being intact. By "valves", I mean shell. Sorry, I have a bad habit of being overtechnical. The mantle is seperated from the shell, and the incurrent siphon is very open, correct? If so, I dont think there is much you can do for this clam. Perhaps the change in parameters, despite the acclimation, did him in.

Gotcha....I don't know my clam terms yet:D To be honest, I wanted a clam that someone had kept for a while to ensure a more "tested" subjet to start with, but given the drastic change in tank parameters I would have probably done this guy better to leave him be in his former home of low flow, high temp, high SG, etc. I never tested the CA level of his home tank but he had softies and doesn't really dose so he was likely adjusted to low CA too.

Oh, and his mantle did wave somewhat when he was extended completely that first day....I'm guessing they shouldn't? I have kept the Koralia 1 that's tilted towards my sandbed and produced the most significant flow in the area of the clam off for the past 2 days with no change in the clam's appearance. Too little too late.

They can wave, just not be flapping constantly. Still posts a pic if you can.

Good info Jeremy.

With that info, I say fry it up and enjoy it while you still can. Make a couple of hush puppies to go with it.

No need for pics now. He was deader than a doornail and melting like a slug covered in salt when I got home. He's outside keeping my yard gnome company now:D Ironically he didn't smell at all....I've heard dead clams are a whole new kinda stink.

Back