timer issues

kelloggreef

Market
Reaction score
Anybody else having problems with the coralife power strip with built in timers.Now on my third one and the actinics wont turn off. The last one the halides would not turn on. I know its set right and am getting tired of replacing them,although they are covered under warrenty. Is there something else out there?

I've heard the ones with the dial -type timer have problems--I have a digital one, and have had no problems yet-had about 5 months--but have heard a lot of people having problems with the dual timers--I guess the next best thing is to get a regular timer at home depot or lowes; if you don't believe me, look at Marine Depot's feedback on that item-it's what made me not buy it.

Yes.....one of the first things I bought getting into the hobby.

Great idea...terrible product. Timer will on its own not turn off the lights requiring a complete reset of the timer or will just start working on its own every so often.

A tremendous P.O.S.

I have that same timer and I hate it, only one of the timers work. Biggest piece of **** out their

Yeah, I almost bought one-luckily I checked out reviews on Marine Depot--everyone said it was POS

So the only other option is a cluster of timers? If one timer has one plug thats like nine timers including the two cooling fans.seems like a fire hazard.

I'm sure if you go and study the different timers at lowes or HD you can come up with a better plan. When you figure it out let me know will ya?

it's really not that bad looking-and you could get splitters to split the timer with the fans and stuff

the coralife unit is a fire hazard! you're much safer with digital timers from HD.

I have the same coralife strip and it did the same thing to me. It's a piece of junk; dump it and buy an RK2; best money I ever spent in this hobby.

i too was a victim.. goes on my list of totally worthless equipment right under my seaclone...

I have the Coralife digital timer and have not had any problems with it. HD and Lowes both sell an outdoor timer with two receptacles that is probably made by the same company that makes the Coralife digital since the settings are identical.

Budsreef;129261 wrote: I have the Coralife digital timer and have not had any problems with it. HD and Lowes both sell an outdoor timer with two receptacles that is probably made by the same company that makes the Coralife digital since the settings are identical.

If it's the one I'm thinking of Bud, both recepticles are on the same cycle (i've got one). As you know, the Coralife timer has a set of day and a set of night outlets that alternate as well as a number of unswitched outlets so it takes at least two timers and a power strip to swap it out. That said--that's exactly what I'm doing until I save my pennies for a controller...my Coralife timer has worked fine so far, but I'm not going to risk it further....

That's the one George, it has two receptacles but both are either on or off so it takes two to run actinics and daylight seperately. Even with the Coralife digital you still need another timer to do both actinic and daylight.

Found out that RK2 stood for reefkeeper2. Wish I bought it a year ago. Coolest thing ever. If you were like me and didnt know what it was and you have had timer issues I would really invest in one. Its a small computer that runs all my lights, heaters, fans and displays Ph and temp. I knew there was something out there. Cost a pretty penny but it is well worth it. Thanks for the heads up Skriz..

kelloggreef;132308 wrote: Found out that RK2 stood for reefkeeper2. Wish I bought it a year ago. Coolest thing ever. If you were like me and didnt know what it was and you have had timer issues I would really invest in one. Its a small computer that runs all my lights, heaters, fans and displays Ph and temp. I knew there was something out there. Cost a pretty penny but it is well worth it. Thanks for the heads up Skriz..

No problem bud...glad you took the plunge. It's well worth the money, especially when you start playing with it to do more for you!

Skriz;132310 wrote: No problem bud...glad you took the plunge. It's well worth the money, especially when you start playing with it to do more for you!

I want one too, but I can't make up my mind whether or not to wait for the RK Elite to come out. Even if I decide not to go with the Elite, I figure once it comes out a whole bunch of you guys will upgrade and I'll be able to get the RK2 really cheap.

Just the other night I was at the local Wal-Mart and happened to be checking out the timers. There is an Outside timer that is weather proof with 6 Outlets on it all controled by one timer though, so I'm not sure it would work for you but just some food for thought. Don't remember the price though, and I believe it works in 30 Minute intervals.

I have been using the coralife timers on my tanks for abotu a year without any problems. I guess I have been lucky so far since I use three of them. I thought that the RK2 could only control one tank? Is that true? So if you have multiple tanks to control (and in different rooms) you would need multiple rK2 units? I think I read the elite will manager multiple tanks but is there a limitation to the location from the sensors? I'd love to switch out but it would be a huge investment.
Bob

Back