tiny white star fish?????????

Reefplumber13

Market
Reaction score
i know yall are like wtf. but i have them all over my glass in the tank and when i say tiny i mean TINY white spots what are they??? anyone know?

Asterina starfish. The feed on algae films. Some believe the blue ones feed on coral. This is highly debatable.

It depends on what side of the arguement you subscribe to. You'll never get rid of them, so go with the side that will give you piece of mind. I don't believe they pose a threat.

You'll never get them all out of the tank but for control you can employ a Harlequin Shrimp. This shrimp seldom does well in captivity, but I have maintained them with some success in systems with high number of asterina starfish.

I don't think they are asterina starfish.

You said they're tiny and you're guessing they're starfish. More than likely I think you have Staurocladia oahuensis. They are actually jellyfish and are very common in new tanks such as yours. They are harmless and typically are not present in more mature tanks as many creatures prey on them.

jgilley84;181562 wrote: i know yall are like wtf. but i have them all over my glass in the tank and when i say tiny i mean TINY white spots what are they??? anyone know?

Do they move or are the hard and fixed to the glass?

does it look like this?
asternia3.jpg
alt="" />

Maddog;181736 wrote: does it look like this?
asternia3.jpg
alt="" />

i do have one that looks like that but that came on some rock i just got but the others that i stared this about are way smaller then that they are not even a cm

I keep telling you they're probably jellyfish not starfish :).

These are always on the glass. Staurocladia. They're common in new tanks and are harmless. Here's a pic .

Staurocladia.jpg
alt="" />

thanks jin thats what im talking about. in my last post i was asking about the ones in the pic that maddog posted but thanks for telling me i need not to worry but what about the other ones?

There are different kinds of asterina starfish. Most are beneficial but some are bad. It's hard to tell which are which but the bad ones which seem to eat zoas are a lil "darker" than run of the mill stars. Most likely, you have beneficial ones so don't worry bout it yet.

cool thanks i keep looking at my tank and seeing more and more stuff this is cool i seen something that looks like a slug its small and almost see through? what is that lol sorry

Back