Tips and Tricks

picoreefguy

Market
Reaction score
Most of us have been reefing for many years, some even decades. Along the way we tend to pick up little tricks that can save us time, money or hassle. I figured it would be a good idea to start a thread to share the wealth of knowledge within our club. So lets hear your favorite tips and tricks. ill start off with a couple of tips related to cleaning.

1. If you have an ro/di unit and a spare brs reactor and pump then this one is for you. Take your old sediment filter and give it a good spray down with a hose and stick it in your spare reactor. Then hook up the pump to the reactor and use it to pull any detritus and junk built up in your sump. This can be done anytime and does not require a water change since the output of the reactor just goes right back in your sump. Once you are done you can pull out the sediment filter and rinse it with the hose again and store it. You can do this a few times before the sediment filter is useless. This also works great if you want to clean your sand bed but don't want to do a water change. Simply stir the sand up to release the junk and then suck it up with the pump.

2. Another one for those with brs reactors and ro/di units. Once your ro/di filter cartridges are used up and before you toss them in the trash, pull the rubber gasket off the top and bottom of the cartridge. This gasket fits onto the hard shell brs reactor's canister top and could possibly fit other filter that need a gasket. It's a tight fit but can be a good replacement for the orange gaskets that come with them because those tend to get very stiff and hard and by that point it may not give the best seal.

3. If you don't have a reactor that accepts ro/di cartridges but still want to clean your sump without doing a water change, there are a couple options. One if you have another type of reactor you can stuff it with filter floss. If you don't have a spare reactor at all take a sheet of filter pad and wrap it around the end of a flexible hose that fits a pump you have one laying around (if you don't have a spare small pump laying around you're not a respectable reefer). Then just stick the pump and the end of the hose in your sump and clean away.

#1 is a good idea but i would store the filter wet cause the small particulates in the pores can dry out and clog the filter, i've been there.

** my tip is for getting sand in a tank that already has water with out making it all foggy.
i use a home made sand funnel made of 2" pvc pipe and a 4" to 2" adapter and pour my sand all the way to the bottom.... boo ya.

MYREEFCLUB0070;1080133 wrote: #1 is a good idea but i would store the filter wet cause the small particulates in the pores can dry out and clog the filter, i've been there.

good call. didnt think about things drying out. i wonder if you could rehydrate the particulates by giving them a good soak. btw i used this method today to clean out a bunch of carbon dust from my sump and it works amazingly well

MYREEFCLUB0070;1080133 wrote: ** my tip is for getting sand in a tank that already has water with out making it all foggy.
i use a home made sand funnel made of 2" pvc pipe and a 4" to 2" adapter and pour my sand all the way to the bottom.... boo ya.

very nice! im guessing you figured this out cause from experience huh? lol

If you want to do a 'water polish' I wouldn't use an old, clogged sediment filter - at least not a melt-blown polypropylene one. Forget the fact that there's chlorine and goodness knows what other crap in it - after all that is what it was for - pre-filtering water before it went to the RO, if it's already dirty and clogged it's not going to do a good job.

If you want to do that sort of thing, get yourself a pleated cartridge - fits the same size housing, and can be rinsed and reused and allowed to dry between uses.

https://www.h2odistributors.com/fm-5-975-watts-flowmax-pleated-cartridge">https://www.h2odistributors.com/fm-5-975-watts-flowmax-pleated-cartridge</a>

Jenn

JennM;1081039 wrote: If you want to do a 'water polish' I wouldn't use an old, clogged sediment filter - at least not a melt-blown polypropylene one. Forget the fact that there's chlorine and goodness knows what other crap in it - after all that is what it was for - pre-filtering water before it went to the RO, if it's already dirty and clogged it's not going to do a good job.

If you want to do that sort of thing, get yourself a pleated cartridge - fits the same size housing, and can be rinsed and reused and allowed to dry between uses.

https://www.h2odistributors.com/fm-5-975-watts-flowmax-pleated-cartridge">https://www.h2odistributors.com/fm-5-975-watts-flowmax-pleated-cartridge</a>

Jenn[/QUOTE]

i dont know what the one i used was made of but it did a really good job. but when i said rinse i mean i sprayed the crap out of it (literally) i spent 10 minutes or so with the highest pressure setting on my hose nozzle spraying it down and it was almost pure white by the time i was done. and i wasnt really using it for polishing the water but rather just to pull out anything that had settled to the bottom which in my case was a lot of carbon dust. from when i didnt pack the reactor tight and small bits pulverised each other. the dust was fine enough to get through the filter socks so i had to think outside the box to figure out how to get it out where it had settled in my sump and the sediment filter worked great. i wouldn't use it long term to keep the water sparkling or anything like that, just for a quick clean up.

is there a reason you say not to use melt blown polypropylene filters?

I wouldn't re-use a melt-blown cartridge. You might get the outside layer looking clean but inside there's gunk trapped. They aren't meant to be rinsed and reused. For clarity - a melt-blown poly cartridge is great for RO/DI prefilter. Better than the old string-wound poly cartridges, and if you really want to go one better, the grooved, gradient density cartridges are the best, IMO.

I just wouldn't use one for the application you are describing.

Pleated cartridges ARE meant to be rinsed and reused.

I used to have a Lifegard service cart which was used to polish water/recirculate water after removing detritus and it used pleats and we would wash, bleach and re-use. Same application as what you are describing, but on a larger scale - the cart had 4 chambers - usually we had 2 or 3 with pleats and one with chemical media like carbon and/or Phosguard.

A dirty melt-blown cartridge is gross. I wouldn't want that crap that got caught in there straight from the tap, to get circulated into my tank.

And storing it and reusing? All that bacterial growth? Nope nope.

I'm glad you haven't had any issues from this practice, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it. Melt-blown cartridges are cheap - you can get them for $3. Why chance it?

Pleats are more expensive but you can rinse, dry, reuse - for that purpose that's what I'd use, and what I have used.

JMHO...

Jenn

JennM;1081069 wrote:
I'm glad you haven't had any issues from this practice, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it. Melt-blown cartridges are cheap - you can get them for $3. Why chance it?

Jenn

yea true. i didnt really even consider just buying a new one. but yea you're right about the junk thats in there, even if i get most of it out theres always gonna be some left. i guess ive been getting pretty lucky lol

Tired of overflowing your rodi water buckets?

Place the bucket in the tub and you won't have to worry about it ocerflowig.

Feed pellets?:

Pinch the food under water and rub your fingers to release it at a pace where the fish consume most of the food with less waste

LSU_fishFan;1081434 wrote: Tired of overflowing your rodi water buckets?

Place the bucket in the tub and you won't have to worry about it overflowing.

thats a good one. i dont have an rodi unit but i use the one at my buddys shop all the time and before we put a float valve on it we had at least 5 overflows and its not fun cleaning up after that lol.

Picoreefguy;1081435 wrote: thats a good one. i dont have an rodi unit but i use the one at my buddys shop all the time and before we put a float valve on it we had at least 5 overflows and its not fun cleaning up after that lol.

I know the pain, I learned the hard way after having a small flood in the basement :sad:

LSU_fishFan;1081437 wrote: I know the pain, I learned the hard way after having a small flood in the basement :sad:

Same, except for me it was flooding the kitchen in our upstairs apartment. Twice.

LSU_fishFan;1081437 wrote: I know the pain, I learned the hard way after having a small flood in the basement :sad:

Yeah... that really sucks... as in "on behalf of all things that do not suck, this sucks" level of suck.

Feed pellets?:

Pinch the food under water and rub your fingers to release it at a pace where the fish consume most of the food with less waste

Great idea with the bath tub!

Feed pellets?:

If you are fortunate to have an unused shower, the whole 45 gallon brute can fit easily and the shower head makes a great place to attach the rodi. Just make sure your clean and waste lines are long enough.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

SaltWaterWannabe;1081500 wrote: If you are fortunate to have an unused shower, the whole 45 gallon brute can fit easily and the shower head makes a great place to attach the rodi. Just make sure your clean and waste lines are long enough.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

When making water in the brute, cut a whole near the top of the bin, use a uniseal and ball valve along with soft tube to create an overflow into a tub or drain.

LSU_fishFan;1081506 wrote: When making water in the brute, cut a whole near the top of the bin, use a uniseal and ball valve along with soft tube to create an overflow into a tub or drain.

instead of doing that just get a float valve and install it on the flat part near the handle of the brute ive done that on 2 different installs and it works great. that way you never have to worry about overflowing. and i think float valves for rodi's are only like 15 bucks or so.

Picoreefguy;1081508 wrote: instead of doing that just get a float valve and install it on the flat part near the handle of the brute ive done that on 2 different installs and it works great. that way you never have to worry about overflowing. and i think float valves for rodi's are only like 15 bucks or so.

This is a great option, but ever since the flood, my dad is somewhat skeptical of float switches failing.

LSU_fishFan;1081510 wrote: This is a great option, but ever since the flood, my dad is somewhat skeptical of float switches failing.

yea true, everything will eventually fail so it wouldnt be a bad idea to have an overflow on it if you have a drain nearby.

Back