Tired of hauling water!

geno

Market
Reaction score
Saltwater is pretty darn heavy -- and I'm tired of hauling it up from the basement.

So, I'm gonna pump it up.

Question: Since the pump will be in the tank in the basement and I'll be upstairs by the tank while refilling -- would it be safe to put an inline ball valve on the line to shut off the flow or will that put an unsafe back pressure on the pump? Of course I would unplug the pump within a few minutes. I could also arrange for an electrical switch to turn off the pump and not use the ball valve. Does it really matter?

Thanks!

-gene

it will shorten the life of the pump, but since it will only be used when your doing water changes and not for extended periods it will be fine. I would put one near the tank and another near the pump just for safety.

I would use a switch to turn it on and off and I would also put in a "check valve" to prevent the water from running back into your holding tank,that way the pump doesn't have to work so hard to get the water back upstairs.

We've been doing that at MF for quite some time, we pump from the freshwater vat about 8 feet to the left to the two saltwater vats... Put a ball valve right where it comes out from the floor/wall and just go down stairs turn the pump on, go upstairs and open the ball valve. It's pretty simple. Do it with a large Mag pump. I think we use an 24 or a 36, you could get away with using an 18 or a 12 for residential use.

Throttling the output side of the pump shouldn't cause problems for as long as you're going to do it.

If you switch off the pump you'll definitely need a check valve or you'll be waiting for the plumbing to refill each time you switch it back on. You'll also need to make sure that someone doesn't accidentally switch the pump on when you're not doing a water change!

Thanks everyone!

I have ordered a submersible Mag 24 (found a terrific price for one ~ $120). I want to be sure I have some distance to play with -- this will do the job.

Since it will be submerged -- I assume it will be primed from the get go. So I'm thinking an on/off switch would be easier to use. I'll purchase one of those floor switches you control with your foot. That way I can observe the refill rate and hit the switch when needed.

Do you see any problem if I move the pump from the saltwater to the RO/DI water whenever I need to? I know there may be a small amount of water in the pump -- but it should be inconsequential -- don't you think?

-gene

Get yourself one of those Christmas light remote controls thingies. You plug your pump into a plug that plugs in your receptacle and you have a small remote device (like a garage door opener) that you turn your pump on and off from upstairs. They sell them at places like Home Depot, Lowe's, Walmart etc.

Or check into a simple X10 device- cheap and pretty easily found.

Back