To auto-feed or not?

geno

Market
Reaction score
I'll be gone for 7 days and wondered if buying an auto feeder is a good idea.

I've read that fish can do quite well for up to 2 weeks -- and it may be safer to let them graze on the LR, etc rather than run the risk of overfeeding due to a malfunctioning feeder.

The Eleihm 3518 seems to be the feeder most often recommended.

Your thoughts?

geno;210866 wrote: I'll be gone for 7 days and wondered if buying an auto feeder is a good idea.

I've read that fish can do quite well for up to 2 weeks -- and it may be safer to let them graze on the LR, etc rather than run the risk of overfeeding due to a malfunctioning feeder.

The Eleihm 3518 seems to be the feeder most often recommended.

Your thoughts?

I have had issues before with auto-feeders... i now just get someone to feed them, how often do you feed currently? when I am gone a week I try and get someone to feed my fish at minimum twice and usually at least 3 so there is no aggrresion, plus i just leave a few huge heaps of seaweed fro them all in there

I wouldn't use a feeder. Let someone take care of the tank for you while your gone. You can always call them to make sure everything is ok. If you don't want to do that just feed heavy for a few days before you leave. What kind of fish do you have?

I'd never auto feed. A malfunction and over-feeding could really foul your tank. I'm of the school that believes fish don't need to eat nearly as much or as often as we think they do and many people actually overfeed.

With just a week break, I wouldn't even get anyone to feed, unless you have fish that have a very high metabolism (like some wrasses) that require daily feedings. If you <u>must</u> get someone to feed, make sure it's someone who knows what they're doing as a *human malfunction* could be just as detrimental to your livestock as a mechanical one.

If you have a 'fuge, you might consider adding a bag of pods, phyto, live brine, etc. just before you head out.

Thank you!

The only fish I think might get fussy are the tangs (YT and Sailfin) -- frankly, I think the others could get along just fine.

My other option is to portion some pellets in a pill box and have someone add just that (nothing else).

Linda, I tend to agree that we feed more often than necessary.

I think Mike's idea would be fine. I leave some frozen chopped mysis in a small plastic cup in the freezes with enough food for one feeding and have out pet sitter add it to the tank every other day or so, depending how long we are away

It is mostly for the tangs -- just to keep down the aggression.

the other fish (clown, goby, blenny, 6-line, niger trigger) all seem more content with one another.

Back