To carbon, or not to carbon?

AquaticSpace

Reaction score
So I came across this question on a freshwater page. They asked "are you running carbon, and if so how much how often?" It had about 250 responses and I blazed through a lot of them. About 99.9% of what I seen, said they don't use carbon. I was wondering if it's the same for our hobby, being reef tanks and all. Would love to read your thoughts.

I only run carbon for specific reasons, such as removing medicine/drugs or suspected toxins.
When I do, it's for a limited time and/or changed regularly, as the carbon's activity is quickly diminished and it just becomes a bacterial colony.

I run about 2 ounces (volume not weight) of rox 0.8 in small BRS reactors on my 80g & 60g changing them out every 10 days or so.

I use to use carbon 24/7, but found for me that it was not that big of a difference when I stopped. With that being said carbon serves its purpose to help aid in getting rid of contaminants, but best practice ultimately is maintenance.

I only run carbon when I think there's something that needs to be removed. It's can also be helpful if there is any coral warfare going on to pull the toxins out.

For clear water I have a UV and peroxide via an Oxidator.

I've found that most successful reefers I meet use carbon as part of their routine, i am the kind of guy that just follows success so I started using carbon again after not using it for a long time. I haven't noticed much of a difference, but I will continue to use it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I too run carbon for a specific reason. Lately it's been all the time since I've been nuking some pest palys when I do water changes. As far as it being a regular part of my routine, I have to be honest and answer kinda. By that I mean to use on a scheduled basis but usually don't change it out often enough to consider myself a regular carbon user.

Following many saltwater groups I find its only really needed for removing toxins and only a min of clearing water. To my understanding you would have to change out way to often to be effective in saltwater. I see a lot of reefers run it a reactor on a timer for a few hours a day for best performance.

I keep leathers and SPS so I run it 24/7 and replace it once a week. But I buy it in 50lb bags to keep cost down.

When using it I noticed a lot less random tissue loss on the SPS, clearer water, less ocean smell coming off the tank(wife has a nose like a blood hound) and I dont have worry about fraging corals in the tank. I only take it off when medicating.

i havent ran it on this build yet i do have a reactor and everything just wanted to see if i actually needed it before i used it

Thanks everyone for the insight. Ill probably use what I have left and then try to be pristine with my maintenance. Ill be observing over the next few months to see how the tank fares without it. Always love to cut cost without cutting quality. More money for coral :)

Back