To drill or not to drill

reeftankjunkie

Supporting
Reaction score
I am picking up a 120 this weekend after a 10 year hiatus. It’s not drilled but comes with an Eshoppes overflow box. I was thinking instead, of drilling the side of the tank that will be against the wall and retrofitting a coast to coast overflow. What would be the best long term? Also, the tank hasn’t seen water in about 2 years.. I plan on water testing it before filling it for good, but should I go ahead and plan on resealing it? I appreciate any ideas/ opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the Eshopps a HOB, or does it require drilling (Eclipse)?

If it's HOB, then it's a no-brainer to me to drill and go with the Coast to Coast.

If the Eshopps requires drilling, then I'd lean heavily on which overflow would give you the most coverage. To me, a wider weir is better (especially if it intrudes into the tank less). And, of course, cost is a factor : )

I'll defer to others regarding re-sealing. Do you know if the tank was stored in conditioned space / out of direct sunlight?

Just my $0.02...

The Eshoppes Is a HOB. I believe the tank was stored in a basement but I’m not 100% sure.

73c073d33f67d880b67efd92d4a28792.jpg

I was thinking about this one and do the “Herbie drain” so it’s quiet.

I know the HOB stuff has come a long way, but I just don't trust them. And I don't think they work as well.

I'm using an Exotic Marine Systems overflow, and I like it a lot. It has minimal intrusion into the tank. I think they sell a 36" (and wider) version, which handles a lot of surface area. It is also super quiet, and designed for a 3-pipe drain.

I would think that if it wasn't in a hot garage and/or sunlight, that the silicone is probably fine, but again, I'll defer to others with more experience on that.

I was thinking about this one and do the “Herbie drain” so it’s quiet.

Interesting! So, you just silicone it to the glass and drill holes in the back glass for drains? I'm not a fan of silicone bonding to acrylic, though. Or am I missing how this works?

What I like about the EMS is that it's a closed acrylic box, and the sealing is done with the bulkhead gaskets.

I run the "Bean Animal" type drain, which I think is basically a Herbie with a 3rd pipe for emergency. It is very quiet, and probably worth it if you have the space in the overflow for a 3rd pipe/bulkead

Back