To drip, or not to drip? That is the question

bhodges82

Supporting
Reaction score
Just came home with some nice new additions, I was just wondering if everyone drip acclimated their coral or do you "pop and drop"? And why do you do your method?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I dip and drip. Here's what i just got done doing to the frags I brought home from the meeting.
  1. Place the corals in a large pail with the water they came in. I'll sometimes mix the water from a few bags but I don't recommend it.
  2. Add a dip solution. I use Thrive, Coral RX or Bayer depending on time and effort I was to put into it. (Bayer's a pain but effective)
  3. Agitate the water with a turkey baster for 10 minutes and scrub the frag bases or plugs with a tooth brush.
  4. Start dripping tank water into the dip water. When the amount double, take out half of it and let it double again. (I usually measure in pints)
  5. Remove acclimated coral and place into a container of tank water to remove dip. (If using Bayer, I rinse first and repeat this step just to be sure)
  6. Grab a new turkey baster, remove corals, rinse with a stream of water and place in a tank.
Of course I've dropped before but dripping and dipping allows me to really examine the frags for serious pests and eggs. Any time I've had an issue, it's been because I didn't do these steps.

Oh and i dip to prevent unwanted pests. Honestly I only dip when I don't know the source well enough. Tho always dip if from a store no matter what

Well being as it took me forever to get home . I dipped , then dripped in the dip , then rinsed, and am just now getting them in the tank. ( 930pm) . I turned the lights on so I could see and almost all started opening up in the bucket.

I am going to set up some sort of station . That way when I get home it's all ready to go next time.

I dip everything. there is nothing worst than getting a pest in your tank. Don't believe anyone (no offense). I've had fellow members tell me their tank is pest free (maybe they think it is and have some wrasses controlling their problem or whatever), but I've got nudis, red bugs, flatworms, etc. from members.

After my reboot, I dip everything in bayer for 10 min. and remove the frag from the plug it came on. I don't care if it's encrusted or not because dipping doesn't kill eggs. It's just not worth it. Call me paranoid but it has saved me a headache since I started this practice.

Process:
  • Take the frag bag, place in additional ziploc bag to prevent any water leak and float in tank water for 20 min.
  • Prepare 3 cups (I keep the same 3 red solo cups for future use)
    • cup #1: 100% water from frag mixed with bayer to a milky white
    • cup #2: 50% water from frag + 50% water from tank
    • cup #3: 100% water from tank
  • Put frag in cup #1 and lightly stir/shake then let it sit for 10 min, again shake/stir the cub & remove frag
  • Rinse in Cup #2 (~10 sec.) and remove frag from plug (I dry out the plug and keep it for future use)
  • Rinse in Cup #3 (~10 sec.) and place in tank (I rinse twice to make sure I get any bayer solution off
Again, that's just me tho.

"pop and drop"

Haha, I heard that term on Rico's Aquarium YouTube channel. Is that where you got it from as well?

I fill two containers with water from the tank, putting some coral dip in one and use the other to rinse afterwards. No drip; just dip, rinse, and put in the tank.

I agree with @civics14 approach. Like I said I have a 20L with just a heater, Powerhead, Tunze nano topoff, HOB filter and a light that I use for coral QT. When I do a water change for the main system I drain half the QT to waste then refill with water from the Display. When I get new corals I float them in the QT. The only thing I do differently from the instructions above is in the 3rd cup I add some TLF ReVive before placing them in the QT. When I have any corals in the QT I also feed them with Brightwell Restor because there are no fish in the QT. This is really the only time I feed my corals other than the occasional broadcast feeding of Phyto. I will leave coral in the QT for 3 to 4 weeks just to be sure nothing pops up. Things like Bryopsis, Aptasia or eggs that may not be killed in the initial dipping may pop up.

I'm also now going to remove every frag from the plug if it can be done safely prior to putting in cup #1. If not I will suspend the plug in RODI mixed with H2O2 for several minutes taking care to keep it off the coral. If its a Zoa I'll just throw the whole plug in there but use tank water instead of RODI. Old plugs will then be thrown in the H2O2 for a while and dried for future use.

I dip everything. there is nothing worst than getting a pest in your tank. Don't believe anyone (no offense). I've had fellow members tell me their tank is pest free (maybe they think it is and have some wrasses controlling their problem or whatever), but I've got nudis, red bugs, flatworms, etc. from members.

After my reboot, I dip everything in bayer for 10 min. and remove the frag from the plug it came on. I don't care if it's encrusted or not because dipping doesn't kill eggs. It's just not worth it. Call me paranoid but it has saved me a headache since I started this practice.

Process:
  • Take the frag bag, place in additional ziploc bag to prevent any water leak and float in tank water for 20 min.
  • Prepare 3 cups (I keep the same 3 red solo cups for future use)
    • cup #1: 100% water from frag mixed with bayer to a milky white
    • cup #2: 50% water from frag + 50% water from tank
    • cup #3: 100% water from tank
  • Put frag in cup #1 and lightly stir/shake then let it sit for 10 min, again shake/stir the cub & remove frag
  • Rinse in Cup #2 (~10 sec.) and remove frag from plug (I dry out the plug and keep it for future use)
  • Rinse in Cup #3 (~10 sec.) and place in tank (I rinse twice to make sure I get any bayer solution off
Again, that's just me tho.
I do almost the exact same thing. Except I remove the Frag plug before the dips and will sometimes use a toothbrush to brush the bottom of the frag in case some eggs might be there.

I got red bugs once from someone in the club and had to order dog heartworm from Canada because I couldn’t get in anywhere else.
And a little over year ago, bought some frags from a guy in the club who has an amazing tank, diped them in Bayer and flatworms fell off. I told the guy and he had no idea. He said I was the 17th person he had sold frags to that day.
So I agree, dip everything no matter who it is.

Haha, I heard that term on Rico's Aquarium YouTube channel. Is that where you got it from as well?

I fill two containers with water from the tank, putting some coral dip in one and use the other to rinse afterwards. No drip; just dip, rinse, and put in the tank.
Yes it is. I've got some frags from him when he was selling frag packs.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

That's the problem with a lot of pests. You never know you have them until you notice them and by then it's too late. 8 years ago when I had monti nudibranchs I didn't know until they were already breeding in my system. It was a heartbreaker and after that I've gotten a bit more strict about my dipping protocols. I also looks, check and re-check the frags with my eyes. I count how many times I've scraped off a fleck of coralline algae because it looked out of place and I thought better safe than sorry.

Back