To use filter socks or not use them?

ZapataInc

Supporting
Reaction score
So I've been seeing more and more people not using filter socks in their sumps. What are your thoughts?

I am using a single, I think the key is to make sure to clean very often
I use a filter sock in my IM 40g AIO and I switch it out with a clean one everytime I do a water change.

The reasoning I see people not using them is that they have some CUC in the sump along with copepods that will take care of most of the debris and then the skimmer will take care of the rest.

I'm still using socks. I have enough (20+) that I only have to clean them every other month.

Are use them and have to clean mine about once a week. I only do a water change every 3 to 4 weeks. It’s not that bad except for I only have one sock so I have to rinse it out immediately and put it back in I can’t just switch it and wash them all at the end of the month or whatever.

I use them and anyone who doesn't is crazy and wrong.

Just kidding of course, there are a lot of opinions regarding filter socks but I do still use them and change them out regularly. The biggest drawback I hear is that they can turn in to "nitrate factories." I've never had the issue and just keep on using them. If I'm honest, 20% of the time they get clogged so I'm, in effect, not using them but I usually get around to swapping them out before they overflow.

I use them and anyone who doesn't is crazy and wrong.

Just kidding of course, there are a lot of opinions regarding filter socks but I do still use them and change them out regularly. The biggest drawback I hear is that they can turn in to "nitrate factories." I've never had the issue and just keep on using them. If I'm honest, 20% of the time they get clogged so I'm, in effect, not using them but I usually get around to swapping them out before they overflow.
Mine usually gets clogged after one week. But I do weekly sock/skimmer cleaning to avoid issues. Also my nitrates are at 2ppm and everything looks well fed/happy

When I saw how many pods, brittle stars etc they trap. I stopped using them on all our tanks.
Not trying to accommodate for socks makes it easier to DIY your own sump also

I don't use them. They're great if you can afford to throw them out every 3 days, but those things aren't cheap. I stuff my chambers with filter floss and change it every couple days instead.

Yea, these type threads come up from time to time.

I think socks can be useful from time to time but not something I have in place very often. In new systems some type of filtration is good if kept up with. But after nine months to a year when the system is more mature I find they're best used for polishing the water occasionally. Like when moving the rock work around or when you know you're going to be stirring things up.

I'm surprised at how disgusting my skimmer cup is (almost black) considering I'm swapping out the filter floss every few days that is a deep brown with lots of little chunks in it.

I think the combo is one major factor in my nitrates being 0.25ppm, but as @anit77 says, mine is certainly a new tank. I plan on throwing socks of carbon in the cups from time to time, but I'm not sure if I'll ever remove the floss completely considering how much my kids love to feed the tank.

Back