To UV or not to UV. That is the question!

Valhoon

Market
Reaction score
Soo I'm thinking about slapping a UV sterilizer on my tank.

Why? Just another layer of "filtration" on an admittedly overstocked and overfed reef. I know it's not a miracle fix all and I know it's not any sort of nutrient export.... I'm just looking for help with water clarity. So I'm not really looking for a debate on why I am entertaining using one. Nor' am I looking for an echo chamber of people telling me to go for it. I'm just kinda looking at the pros and cons. if there are any at all.

Depending on the flow through the unit it can either be a great clarifier or clarifier and a sterilizer. I think they are a better way of doing either with out the issues of dealing with an ozone generator. Both require maintenance but the UV needs deeper cleaning of the quartz tube every 3-4 months and replacement bulbs annually. But the UV won't need special plastics that won't turn brittle and the possibility of ozone leaking into your home if a hose comes loose or over production from a dial mishap.

It really depends on your goals. Are you wanting to help with algae reduction or are you more concerned with fish health? Also check how big a one you will need and see if you can actually fit it! These things can get big quick! Flow rate on these is key.

room isn't really a concern for me. But I'm looking at pushing around 120-150g through it roughly. Clarity and fish health are prime directives on this venture.

I have a sterilizer set up as a temporary device. I have a pump set up to drop in the sump and a return to the sump connected to the sterilizer with hoses. When I am finished treating I flush it with RODI and let it dry out. That way I do not have to maintain it as much.

And I’ll be honest. I kept rolling the dice and snake eyes finally popped. Small ich outbreak. And I know UV will not fix the issue and it’s hotly debated on even if UV helps at all.. but hey.. algae control and even a minute chance of helping with free swimming stage? Sign me up since a hospital tank isn’t in the cards as of this moment

Well now would def be the time to buy one since they are on sale on BRS currently. I've got a LIFEGARD one I ordered off of Salterwateraquariums I am very happy with so far. It is just big. Just make sure to slighty oversize it for your tank. Never undersize or it wont work.

I won't say they need to by oversized if you're only going for clarity. If you intend to treat for a pest then yes, oversized is best practice.

I have always been a simple person so I never had UV on any of my tanks. When my dad upgraded my college tank to his 120g he used a UV. I wasn't a fan of it because it seemed like he was tinkering too much with a good system, he was a big tech guy for aqua stuff. Needless to say it really didnt too much for algae blooms for us. Couldn't really comment on any changes to clarity it made.

Back