To UV or Not to UV?

theplantman

Market
Reaction score
What is the popular opinion on UV sterilization? I've heard run it all the time, not at all, and part time. Whats getting the best results?:noob: :confused2:

I ran UV for around a year. The bulb burnt out and I was having problems finding replacements. I haven't run it in over a year and can't tell the difference. Of course others may have different experiences but I am never going to hook a UV up to an aquarium again unless I have green water or something that requires a UV.

Matt

Corigan;283946 wrote: I ran UV for around a year. The bulb burnt out and I was having problems finding replacements. I haven't run it in over a year and can't tell the difference. Of course others may have different experiences but I am never going to hook a UV up to an aquarium again unless I have green water or something that requires a UV.

Matt

Or $10,000 in fish?:up:

If I had to use something for disease control/water clarity, I'd consider ozone against UV before making that decision.

For what's it worth, I am running UV on the juvenile grow out system but not on the brood tanks or display tanks.

DannyBradley;283949 wrote: If I had to use something for disease control/water clarity, I'd consider ozone against UV before making that decision.

I would argue that ozone (a the dosage used in reef aquariums), would not be nearly as germicidal as people expect. In order for it to be of sterilization effect, it has to be injected in massive amounts, which would be quite danegrous for a reef tank.

UV helps prevent parasite outbreaks when combined with proper use of a QT (both fish AND corals), algae outbreaks, cyano, prevents the spread of aiptasia by frying spores they may release, and overall clarifies the water. if you are dosing with phytoplankton and other coral foods there are no real negative effects to running UV.

Hers the thing, UV HAS </em>to be run in a specific manner in order to be pathogenic. For example, to kill ick, there has to be massive exposure by either slow flow, or high wattage. However to kill lage or bacteria, not as much. But just throwing an 8 watt UV with 500 GPH through it wont do much of anything.

It is my opinion that uv has its place for sure, in the right situations if used properly can be very beneficial. In the QT tank for parasites is fine but if you are running to control algae than you masking an issue that should be corrected. Common sense has told me that uv also kills plankton and other benefical life but I could be wrong.

I run my UV when I add a new fish or I see an ich outbreak. Imo it helps a great deal for ich issues but at the same time its no panacea.

UV does only work to kill parasites with slower water flow, and from what i've read you need at least 18w of PC or 15w of T5ho UV lighting with 100 gph or less to kill ich. larger units can have slightly more flow, but i would keep it around 100 gph.

if you're taking care of your tank, you should be either 1) not having algae issues to worry about or 2)testing enough to identify problem params before an algae outbreak anyway. but a UV sterilizer will give you some back up.

UV does kill plankton. if you're worried enough about coral growth to worry about plankton, you should be feeding your corals anyway and it the UV shouldn't effect that.

ryanh487;284034 wrote: UV does only work to kill parasites with slower water flow, and from what i've read you need at least 18w of PC or 15w of T5ho UV lighting with 100 gph or less to kill ich. larger units can have slightly more flow, but i would keep it around 100 gph.

if you're taking care of your tank, you should be either 1) not having algae issues to worry about or 2)testing enough to identify problem params before an algae outbreak anyway. but a UV sterilizer will give you some back up.

UV does kill plankton. if you're worried enough about coral growth to worry about plankton, you should be feeding your corals anyway and it the UV shouldn't effect that.

UV kills with exposure. Exposure can be handled with higher wattage UV bulbs, or with slower flow, but they both have the same outcome.

jmaneyapanda;284050 wrote: UV kills with exposure. Exposure can be handled with higher wattage UV bulbs, or with slower flow, but they both have the same outcome.

better safe than sorry :D

doesn't hurt to have 100 gph going through say, a 25 or 36w unit. cheaper powerhead to buy too. of course you CAN do more, but if doing to much causes under exposure, i'd rather do a minimum.

I think it is a good thing. I have one and it has helped fight ich a couple of times

Thanks all, I appreciate the feedback, think I'll keep mine running while in stocking mode and shut it down during coral feedings of plankton.

Back