To wait or not to wait store tank or custom

Reefchef

Supporting
Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone, my wife are I are still trying to figure which direction we would like to go with our set up plans. We were learning toward arr 180 gallon marineland but have started thinking about getting a room less custom like a crystal dynamics. This is our first major tank and just don't want to regret or change it later! Please give any suggestion and feedback especially on the quality of the CD tracks and or they worth the extra cost. Thanks

What do you want to do with it? What you goal for the tank? Fish heavy with softies? Mostly hard corals?

What do you want to do with it? What you goal for the tank? Fish heavy with softies? Mostly hard corals?

Thank you jcook54, you have been so helpful so far we really appreciate it.

Fish to start but eventually mix with softies I don't foresee any hard corals at this time. We are starting to lean toward rimless, their both nice don't get me wrong. So many decisions!!!

Wait, wait a minute. Are you going to do a canopy? If it's fish with some softies on a standard dimension tank, I'd go with the rim. If you're going to have a canopy, the point is moot so go with whatever is cheaper. I really, really like rimless cubes but for the more standard tanks (longer) I think rim are alright.

If I go with rim, I will hsve a canopy by not for rim. Im looking at a 6ft tank. I'll probably stick with the rim, my wife says im too indecisive!!!

Well, you're in good company. I would argue its not indecision but rather a thought process that's trying to get the very best possible outcome. I would be in a similar situation if I ever decided to start a system from scratch. There are a lot of decisions to be made and they'll stick with you in the hobby for years.

And go ahead and get a cabinet or some sort of storage place right beside it that matches or fits in. There's only so much room in the sump and I got a kitchen cabinet (wall cabinet) that sits next to my tank so I can keep all the goodies in.

And go ahead and get a cabinet or some sort of storage place right beside it that matches or fits in. There's only so much room in the sump and I got a kitchen cabinet (wall cabinet) that sits next to my tank so I can keep all the goodies in.

I am planning on giving it a try to make my own stand, wish me luck when that time comes!!! I was going to build a 73"*22"*38" stand with hopefully sliding barn style doors and a canopy, depending on how that goes I would like to build 2 night stand type stand to go on each side. They would hopefully have a drawer and storage below. That is a ways away though, I am going to try to support the floors Sunday or Monday while I'm off and then the painter is coming on the 11th to paint where it is going and then electrician. Once these steps are complete then I will set up the water station and then start the stand. I'm not really worried about the dimensions of the stand because as of now we will be going with the 180 rr marine land or 220 rr marine land tank which is just taller.

Back