To what do you ground MH wiring?

weaglereefer

Market
Reaction score
Curious what you use for the ground of a MH retro, say on a Coralvue 250watt dimmable ballast? The reflector?

the ballast should be grounded to the outlet thru the cord....you can attach the ground coming from the ballast to the light, on the reflector like you mentioned...

Ok, I thought so just checking. There's 3 wires in the cable coming out of the ballast, and the instructions just show 2 looping to the bulb and one that says "ground" without much further info. First MH wiring, so I just wanted to double check.

I just stick my ground in the tank...I figured water was a helluva ground!:doh:

So I can just stick the exposed wire in the tank and then put one of those grounding probes in? Awesome! :thumbs:

Some days I still wonder how it came to be that my favorite hobby is balancing lots of electricity over lots of saltwater...

of course...you might even wanna be barefooted standing in a tub of saltwater while doing this...don't forget to keep your hands in the tank for the full 'grounding effect' lol

If I hold an incandescent light bulb in my mouth, will it light up like Uncle Fester's?

More importantly, though, WE need to know if it did or not. Be sure to have someone tape it.

yes, we are/were joking...

Disclaimer: Please do NOT place ground wires/light bulbs in your mouth or in tank while standing in salt water...you will NOT like the results!!! All above comments were made in a joking manner and were meant to be taken in that same type manner...

ericmcj31;383667 wrote: yes, we are/were joking...

Disclaimer: Please do NOT place ground wires/light bulbs in your mouth or in tank while standing in salt water...you will NOT like the results!!! All above comments were made in a joking manner and were meant to be taken in that same type manner...
now you tell me, that hurt.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I'm wiring someone else's tank, so I really don't want to f*** it up.

I don't see where the problem is...other than the fact a salt water tank also makes a nice battery... :eek:

Back