Toad Fish

lmm1967

Reaction score
Thought I would share a couple (bad quality) photos of a toad fish I have in one of my tanks.  This guy came in with a shipment of TBS rock just about a year ago. He ony comes out and about at night and will make his way back to his cave of choice if the lights are on for more than a minute or so. He will come to the edge of his "home" if I shine a light in there during day - has learned this means food is soon to follow.

I am very alert whenever my hand is in this tank - I have no desire to be bitten by this guy. He his fast and doesn't mess around.

Somehow he has not touched either of the 2 half dollar size crabs in this tank.

https://atlantareefclub.org/boards/data/uploads/hm_bbpui/857914/jxr1ijnjpety6n79js1t75obu36xh60r.JPG" alt="" width="1048" height="1397" />

[IMG]https://atlantareefclub.org/boards/data/uploads/hm_bbpui/857914/du1286p03hha9mvghhzxabpg6kfrm83p.JPG" alt="" width="1048" height="1397" />

That is quite a hitchhiker, you never know what awaits you with TBS rock. Surprised it hasn't eaten everything in the tank.

The only other things in this tank are some crabs, whelk snails and at least a couple of the very small (1/4" or so long) pistol shrimp you find in the gulf.

The tank does share a sump with my other tank and somehow, someway I have had fairly sizable whelk snails get to the other tank. One ate our clam which is when I was able to confirm my suspicions that they are indeed whelk rather than nessarius snails.

The snail population does seem to be diminishing so I suppose it's possible this guy is eating them - or I could have a mantis hiding in there somewhere.  We get a fare amount of clicking during low light times but I have never found anything other than those little pistols.

I have a couple nice size pieces of TBS. I've also had clicking for over a year now since I got them. I had a couple gorilla crabs and I thought I got them all but I have some stars with half eaten legs. Also my snail population has been reducing. I've been shining a red light in there randomly at night for 2 weeks now and I'm not seeing anything. Eventually I'll find what's been doing the damage so I can get a plan together for removal. Then I can restock some more snails.

I have seen nothing but hermits eating corals. Whenever I see one doing that it goes to the sump. Other than that no coral damage.

Back