Toadstool (Sarcophyton sp.)

tokejr

Market
Reaction score
I bought a Toadstool on March 3....

It's been completely uncooperative and unhappy since I put it in the tank. It has opened and extends it tentacles (very short) once in a while, but rarely and only for a few hours at most.

It's firm and I see no necrotic spots on the trunk nor the top.

I've currently got it on the sand bed, held up by a piece of PVC pipe with holes in it because it wouldn't even stand up at first. It's below one of the returns with a steady, gentle flow over it. It's not sloughing off a layer (been there, done that on the first day) and I make sure the surface has nothing on it.

Am I being impatient with this particular coral or should I take it back to the store?

As long as its firm, it's doing ok, although seems like there might be something in the water it doesn't like.....

I had one for about 3 years. It did the same thing to start with. During the years I had it, it would act up like that as well. I gave it to a buddy of mine because it out grew the tank. Didn't know at the time about fragging it. You may want to stick a tooth pic in a rock or drill a frag plug for the toothpick and stab that into the base were he can mount to it. May make him a little happier. As long as he is not sloughing, he should be fine. And if he does, increase the flow to him and you could also do a iodine dip if he is sloughing.

Dakota9;309502 wrote: As long as its firm, it's doing ok, although seems like there might be something in the water it doesn't like.....

That's what is so strange, everything else in the tank is taking off. I swear, we can watch the Kenya Tree and Anthelia we got at the meeting grow! The zoas, mushrooms, anenomes and Pocillopora are multiplying like mad.

Numbers are all good - trites/trates/ammonia/phosphates all 0, calcium 400, pH 8.2....

Fish happy and healthy....

cfrank84;309503 wrote: just give it to me ill nurse it for u and frag it when its healthy :p

LOL, I may just do that if it doesn't perk up here soon!

itsamyheff;309507 wrote: I had one for about 3 years. It did the same thing to start with. During the years I had it, it would act up like that as well. I gave it to a buddy of mine because it out grew the tank. Didn't know at the time about fragging it. You may want to stick a tooth pic in a rock or drill a frag plug for the toothpick and stab that into the base were he can mount to it. May make him a little happier. As long as he is not sloughing, he should be fine. And if he does, increase the flow to him and you could also do a iodine dip if he is sloughing.

Will do. Thanks!

Amberjack;309587 wrote: I'd take it out of the sand and attach it a rock. If it's limp, you can cut the piece of PVC lengthwise, when it gets stronger it would be easy to remove. It's gotta attach to something more substantial than sand. It does like the moderate flow, help the polyps to extend.

I took your advice and moved it to a rock and this is what it has looked like since:

BIG difference, thanks.

You are going to love this piece. I know I love mine! Glad she's perked up for ya. :)

stacy22;312998 wrote: You are going to love this piece. I know I love mine! Glad she's perked up for ya. :)

Yeah, I really like it already. Definitely a show stopper and it's little.

Side benefit, it will hide the pump behind it. :yes:

stacy22;312998 wrote: You are going to love this piece. I know I love mine! Glad she's perked up for ya. :)

She? SHE? Looks like a boy to me......

Softies like that toadstool can be temperamental. As Dakota said, as long as he is firm and not rotting away, he will be fine. A lot of times, in a new setting, they will shed their coat before coming out fully. This could take a few weeks. They will then shed their coat every once in a while (about once or twice a year) and close up again. I would just give him medium flow and, as suggested, anchor him down instead of having him in a stand like that.

Back