Toggle bolts for hanging lights

civics14

Market
Reaction score
Anyone do this?

Its rated for 50lbs per bolt in a 1/2” drywall ceiling and I’m using two so I assume that’s 100lbs max. Fixture is 35lbs and I add about 2-3lbs for wire weight. So 38lbs?

My father n law suggested it and said its plenty strong enough. He’s had a lot of experience building homes, so I took his word for it.

Older post on RC has plenty of people using this method but newer post on R2R says its a bad idea.

Now I’m paranoid as hell. However I don’t see one post pointing out a failure thats actually occurred.

The bolt may hold 50 pounds but I wouldn’t trust half-inch thick drywall. I would also think that the weight rating is based on using that boat on a vertical surface not hanging from a horizontal surface. But I’m super paranoid of anything hanging over my tank. If it were my tank and it was accessible from and attic I would install a couple of 2 x 4 cross braces and hang it from that if it was accessible.

The bolt may hold 50 pounds but I wouldn’t trust half-inch thick drywall. I would also think that the weight rating is based on using that boat on a vertical surface not hanging from a horizontal surface. But I’m super paranoid of anything hanging over my tank. If it were my tank and it was accessible from and attic I would install a couple of 2 x 4 cross braces and hang it from that if it was accessible.

Trust me, I’m trying to figure a way to run something between two beams but need to make it look good else wife isn’t having it.

The 50lbs is a ceiling rate ( see pics).

00d56c06031de4ea77a1b1f927a50bfa.jpg

I wouldn't hesitate to spread 38 lbs. between two in 1/2" sheetrock ceiling as long as it's in good condition, but that's just me.

I use Ati 10 bulb fixtures so they are pretty heavy. The longest I had one up was 5 years and when I took it down I just patched the 2 little holes and the drywall was fine. If you are uncomfortable using anchors you can get a 1x6 and attach to ceiling joists so your light is hanging from 2 joists

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Ati 10 bulb fixtures so they are pretty heavy. The longest I had one up was 5 years and when I took it down I just patched the 2 little holes and the drywall was fine. If you are uncomfortable using anchors you can get a 1x6 and attach to ceiling joists so your light is hanging from 2 joists

Thanks

Grab a half inch scrap of dry wall... put a bolt in it and start hanging weights from it to see when it fails:)
I’d think the drywall will fold before the bolt would be an issue

If it’s an attic drill 2 small holes through... poke something through so you can tell where it is then go up and see if there’s a way to go across a few rafters w a cross beam and connect
It that way .

If it’s an attic drill 2 small holes through... poke something through so you can tell where it is then go up and see if there’s a way to go across a few rafters w a cross beam and connect
It that way .

I wish I can get above it. Right now I have it on these bolts until I can come up with a more creative/decorative way to hang it.

Newer construction homes are going to almost always have 1/2” drywall on 16” centers. I personally wouldn’t trust the toggle over a tank with 1/2” Sheetrock.

A strip of 3/4” plywood painted the same color as the ceiling wouldn’t be awful with some edge banding. Or you could dress it up with various trim and make it look like a contemporary ceiling medallion. All depends on what goes with your home/decor.

I would open the ceiling and put a block in there. Patch is easy. Unless the ceiling is textured anyway.

I would not risk hanging a light over water using toggle bolts in sheetrock. There are many ways to attatch through the sheetrock to joists. A couple 18 inch 1x6, 2x2, or pretty much anything is better than hanging something from sheetrock. Even if it is rated for twice the weight, Murphy's law always wins.

Remeber the lights will likely be bumped or moved around periodically, which adds force to the sheetrock.

Water and moisture can also weaken sheetrock dramatically, which is another factor to consider as well.

There is too much at risk to try hanging a light over water using toggle bolts in my opinion.

I would not risk hanging a light over water using toggle bolts in sheetrock. There are many ways to attatch through the sheetrock to joists. A couple 18 inch 1x6, 2x2, or pretty much anything is better than hanging something from sheetrock. Even if it is rated for twice the weight, Murphy's law always wins.

Remeber the lights will likely be bumped or moved around periodically, which adds force to the sheetrock.

Water and moisture can also weaken sheetrock dramatically, which is another factor to consider as well.

There is too much at risk to try hanging a light over water using toggle bolts in my opinion.

I agree. Just need to come up with a solution that has a nice finish to it.

I sell these anchors, we are a Master Distributor for ITW CCNA which includes Buildex.

Yes, that is their rating and believe me they do a ton of testing. With that said, I still wouldn't use them over a tank. Humid environment, working on the lights, even worse a leak or spill from above... Any other application I wouldn't give it a second thought.

You don't need something strong enough to hoist and engine but a piece of wood that spans the framing would be ideal. Even if it was just a 2x2 with a little trim around it and painted shouldn't look bad. Another option is to hang a rod connected to the joists and then hang the lights from the rod.

@civics14 I could give you a few of these so you don't have to buy a box of them.

Last edited:
Back