Tomato clowns are like ants...

parsonsaj

Market
Reaction score
...in that they must be able to life like 10 times their body weight!

I have had a tomato clown in my 65 gallon reef tank since the earliest days of its existence, and I'm sure he feels he owns the place. One annoying habit he has is that he will not abide anything that projects upwards past a certain point in the tank. Numerous times I've tried to put coral on the top ridge of my live rock, only to have him either knock it over or beat it to death by bumping it.

Today, I thought I'd one-up him so I got a new piece of rock to add as a "peak" on the ridge of rock. I figured that since it weighed about 1.25 pounds, this little 2 ounce fish might not like it being there, but there was nothing he could do about it. WRONG! He has knocked this rock over 3 times now. He never does it when I can watch him, so I am not sure what his technique is. It is really funny to watch him bare his teeth at the thing and bite it (which is what I HAVE seen him do). I think my next step will involve superglue. That hasn't worked for the corals, but on something this heavy it will probably do the trick.

My female maroon does the same thing. I had a big rock (compared to her) and I watched her back up and fully charge at it....knocked it over with some corals too. Fish are freakishly strong.

Back