tons of tiny air bubbles in tank

benpoole28

Market
Reaction score
Hello everyone, question for the experts. I have a bunch of tiny air bubbles in the dt when my pumps are on. It looks like a dust storm in there. When I turn the pumps off, the bubbles settle on the rocks and look like snow. I've had allot of purple hair algae blooming lately and I think the two issues are related. But I could be wrong. All parameters are fine, phosphates are zero, running phosguard and carbon. This algae blooms so fast is rediculous. I just shake it off and let it collect in the filter sock to get rid of it. I've cut feeding down to one a week and have done a few water changes but nothing has helped. Sick of these bubbles, anyone seen this before?

The dust storm is when pumps are running, the bubbles settle on the rock when pumps are off. Would post a pic but I can't upload for some reason.

How long has your tank been up and running? Can you see which piece of equipment they may coming from in your sump? It may be from your skimmer.

You likely have two problems... The bubbles are mechanical and the algae is chemical or lighting.

Bubbles are caused by air entering the water at a return pump, skimmer, small hole in pluming, baffles in sump over flowing, or power heads sucking air.

Please give us you water parameters, type of lighting, exposure to natural sunlight and lighting schedule.

It's not causing a problem (yet) but if you are feeding only once a week you may be starving your fish.

Fish are fed daily, corals feed once a week. Used to be about 3 times a week but cut back due to algae growth. After watching it further, the bubble s aren't settling on the rocks, they are coming up from the rock. Likely bring produced when algae blooms. I cut the skimmer of for a few days so know it can't be that. I wish I could post a pic, not sure why I can't. Taking with a Galaxy S4 but the site will not let me upload them. Parameters are all good, never had any spikes in any in the 8 months the tank has been up. Probably try turning let's down first, hope that helps.

Back