Too much filtration

sstraub5150

Market
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as too much filtration? I have a 24g nano and I run a Ehiem 2213 and 2 aquaclear 50s. Is this too much?

At one point on my 20 I had an Aquaclear 50 and 30. I had a little cyano outbreak at this time and a friend of mine told me that yes your water can be too clean and the beneficial bacteria could begin to die off and cyano could take over. Much debate over water quality but my softies really blow up when I skip a water change.

sstraub5150;348751 wrote: Is there such a thing as too much filtration? I have a 24g nano and I run a Ehiem 2213 and 2 aquaclear 50s. Is this too much?

Nope. And that filtration is definately not too much. Are you not running a skimmer at all?

LeeS;348771 wrote: At one point on my 20 I had an Aquaclear 50 and 30. I had a little cyano outbreak at this time and a friend of mine told me that yes your water can be too clean and the beneficial bacteria could begin to die off and cyano could take over. Much debate over water quality but my softies really blow up when I skip a water change.

Your cyano was not due to a lack of beneficial bacteria..you can't filter that stuff out of your tank! Cyano will be from excess nutrients. Softies like nutrient rich water, so they will do better in dirty water. You don't want filthy water though!

dawgdude;349243 wrote: well define need to add one. If you put a skimmer on your tank it would filter out dissolved organics in the water column. Your filters are mechanical and chemical that filter in a differnt way than a skimmer. You can't have water too clean however certain corals will grow better with dirty water. I would ditch the 50's and get a small airdriven skimmer. You thought you water was to clean but I know for a fact a skimmer will pull even more waste so I wouldn't worry about of ok your current set up. If you move to sps then you will need your water even cleaner than those filters will provide.
Well until recently I havent had any sps, and I only have had 2 fish in the tank. There is currently 1 fish so the bioload is real low and I only have an acro and poccilipora.

I think your filtration is fine.....however, the addition of a Skimmer is invaluable like dawgdude mentioned, in fact I would consider it an essential part of reefkeeping if you are keeping SPS.

I have found that using RODI water (always), a Skimmer + Refuge + Mech Filter with appropriate water movement and flow = success. An auto top of unit is excellent addition as well as a consistent method to maintain Calc & Alk which there are several schools of thought on (I use two-part solution).

Either way....I would look into a skimmer for sure. How long has the tank been up and running?

I didn't read the thread, but can I just say one thing...

Thank you for using the correct form of "too" in the title!

Back