too much flow????

Reefplumber13

Market
Reaction score
can there be too much in your tank bc i have 2 hob filters rated at 200gph
and a mj 1200 with the mod and it looks like too much to me my tank is a 55gal

Buddy of mine has an MP40 ramped to the max, plus a Koralia 3 (not to mention a fluval FX5 that pushes like 800gph) in his 55. I would think you are ok.

Is the flow in your tank causing problems or do you just think there is too much flow?

lets just say the fish all hide now, but i just put the mj in yesterday so maybe ill give them a lil more time and they will like it

LOL, nobody asked the golden question...... What's in your tank? You can never hyave too much flow in an SPS tank, but you can in a softies tank, and LPS has a hard time eating in a high flow tank unless you turn the pumps off a few hours.

If there is not a tornado of sand then you are fine. I have 4600 gph in ph alone.

You probably dont have to much flow. But you can have to much direct flow IMO. Example if you had a Sureflow 2200 GPH MJ mod directed straight at some colt corals... that could be to much. or you could have Four Koralia 4's moving 4000 plus GPH and it be fine because of the wider pattern... so you might want to play with PH placement

Dakota9;294942 wrote: LOL, nobody asked the golden question...... What's in your tank? You can never hyave too much flow in an SPS tank, but you can in a softies tank, and LPS has a hard time eating in a high flow tank unless you turn the pumps off a few hours.

+1 also, some fish don't like a lot of flow. You certainly can have too much flow depending on what type of reef you are trying to reproduce.

I have close to 7000 in my 140 and I dont think it's enough. Fish love currents...corals, well that all depends on what you have.

About 7300 random flow on my 185 BB and think it's finally "just right". SPS seems happy, but I don't have any LPS, so cannot comment. Fish love the current, especially the Blue Throat Trigger.

Back