Too much light?

kirkwood

Market
Reaction score
Here is a picture of my lighting arrangement under the canopy. 2 MM LED boxes, 1 eshine 4G 60x3watt bridelux, 1 eshine aquawasher 30x2watt. The MM boxes and the eshine 4g all of 3 UVs each. No optics on the MM and 90 degree optics on the eshine 4G. Also the MM box in the back of the tank only runs the blue portion because the white portion doesn't work (still haven't troubleshooted that)

These lights have been on my tank for 7 months. Over time I bumped up the light cycle. I run the blues from 2pm-11:30pm. I run the whites from 4pm-10:30pm. All tank params are fine. I have varying levels of success with LPS/softies which made me wonder about the potency of the light.

1) I have a purple hornet mini-colony an inch off the sand bed where the polyps only open about 2/3rds. Recently I found a single stragler polyp of purple hornets that attached to some rubble under neath the rockwork and the polyp is fully open with better coloration.
2) mini colony of fruitloops is a couple inches off the sand bed in the middle of the tank under the eshine 4G and the polyps open however they look like they are smushed flat onto the plug. No extension off the plug, which makes me think they are trying to back away from the light instead of growing tall off the plug to reach for light. Also after growing quickly when I first put them in the tank they haven't grown a new polyp in a month.
3)mini colony of red hornets were at mid-tank level. polyps seemed to shrink in size. they were only opening halfway. moved them under a cliff on the sand bed and they open fully but still very smalll polyps and not seeing newbies.
4) Leathers are happy anywhere in the lower 1/4er of the tank.
5) Other various zoas placed from sandbed to upper levels doing great.

at this point i'm thinking about taking the blue portion of my 4G eshine offline altogether. The white portion of that unit is a mix of white/blue/uv, so I could still keep a mix of light in that area but with lower PAR.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
825134=41936-Lights1.jpg
>
825134=41936-Lights1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Lights1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

What is your alkalinity?

Zoa's can be a little sensitive to that.

120gal. alk is 8.5. I alternate daily dosing of alk and cal daily. I use BRS products.

If you suspect the light is too much, why not try turning off that eShine for a few days? Those Zoa's should perk right up, if that's the issue.

kzoo;825167 wrote: Is it a 120 tall ? How deep?

4x2x2

Edit:
ichthyoid;825165 wrote: If you suspect the light is too much, why not try turning off that eShine for a few days? Those Zoa's should perk right up, if that's the issue.

yup.. that is the direction I'm leaning.. but I need to find a sustainable solution to keep everthing happy including the SPS that is enjoying the high light levels.

I agree may be to much light, but easy to find out just move everything low or turn a light out.

I've read of people with the eshine units removing the optics (90degree) from the units to lower the PAR levels.

On the flip side I've read of people with the MM boxes adding optics because PAR levels were insufficient w/o.

I have (2) MM over a 60 gallon with hornets getting around 500 PAR they do not have optics and are fine. I think that it could be the optics on the EShine unit causing the issue. I know of few people removing the optics and having better results.

merkywater;825189 wrote: I have (2) MM over a 60 gallon with hornets getting around 500 PAR they do not have optics and are fine. I think that it could be the optics on the EShine unit causing the issue. I know of few people removing the optics and having better results.

thanks Nate. how many tanks you got running in the closets these days?

LOL

Back