too much water change?

stickx911

Market
Reaction score
In my 30 hex I do about a 20% change every 6-7 days. Is there such thing as changing too much water? I do not get the bottom or anything, all I do is take it off the top.

ares;335226 wrote: water changes CAN be stressful. if salinity is different, temp swings, very dirty tank water suddenly topped with clean water, turning off power heads because of the reduced water level, ect.

if your addressing these potential issues, I do not think you have anything to worry about.

Not only on the fish, either!!

texhorns98;335259 wrote: Not only on the fish, either!!

good point. I've had nothing but a stellar response from my corals. I've had more growth in this tank in a month than my 55 showed in a year, so that is well, but my fish do not get a chance to relax as there is a lot of work this tank needs in terms of keeping clean because I'm battling a greenish algae thats growing on the glass, some may be hair, but another is a little more slimmy, so I have to scrap once a week too. I try to do it all at the same time so once it's over its over, but its still a fairly new tank, so its not quite in only routine maintenance mode just yet.

I've wondered about this also -- especially water in a Q/T or hospital tank where the fish are already stressed and there is no filtration. Does changing 30% of the water daily *strip* it? Is there something to add besides Prime/Stability that will help?

Back