Tools: Miter vs. Table saws

george

Market
Reaction score
I'm looking into getting one or the other for my woodworking needs. The bulk of my wood working is things like stand making (rudimentary right now because of my lack of a "shop") and things like DIY projects with PVC. My most important need would be straight flat cuts, cross and miter along with the occasional need for depth control.

For you woodworkers out there with nice fancy power tools (I know you're there. I've seen the stands): which is the better investment in your opinions?

Mobility is not an issue.

I'm leaning to table saw, but wanted opinions.

I would think a table saw if you have the room for it.You can do so much more with a table saw. But having a miter saw is nice as well,especially cutting trim and straight cuts on pvc pipe.I would do both :)

yeah, invest in a nice table saw, like a Delta, and you can pick up a cheap but worthy enough miter saw for trim and PVC. Boy do I wish I had room for a table saw!

They have a nice portable Dewalt table saw at HD ive been looking at.It folds up so you can store it when not in use.I have had my eye on it for awhile.I just recently bought a 10" Rigid miter saw and it is a great tool to have.I used it to cut all my 2x6 and 6x6 posts for my 500 gal. stand.If I was going to buy one over again I would probably go ahead and get the 12".

fuzzmand;32930 wrote: Finally after 5 months of lurking on this site, a question I feel qualified to answer! Miter saws and table saws are really apples and oranges, different applications for each. If you want quick clean crosscuts and miters a miter saw is more cost effective, but the versatility of a table saw far outweighs any miter saws capability. If you get a middle level table saw with a quality fence system you will be able to accurately crosscut, dado, rip, rabbit, miter and even cove solid wood and panel products, most of which is beyond the mitersaws capability. I also think that, given a few basic facts, a table saw is safer in the long run. I have been scared more often by a chop saw than my table saw, the later having run daily 20 of the last 22 years. A decent table saw is a lifetime investment as well. JMHO. Would be glad to answer any questions if you like.
Don

Fuzzmand is correct don't scrimp on a table saw and a 12" compound mitre box w/laser is well worth the money also. I do some building around the house and I have both. You don't need to spend mega bucks and these things will last forever. Jeff

Thanks for the info all. This confirms the decision I've pretty much come to already.

My parents' neighbor has a nice Dewalt miter saw, so that was helping lean me towards a table saw.

Since everyone mentions cutting PVC, is there some reason a table saw is worse at cutting PVC other than the max depth? For me, a 3" depth will cover all the PVC I use that need precise cuts.

on a table saw, you use a guide to cut wood or a fence, not the best for round PVC where as w/ a mitre saw, you keep the PVC still and move the blade, much easier to cut that way.

A good table, don't go wild on the chop saw. If you get something that is too big to cut on the chop saw,cut it, flip it over and cut the other side. A Trisquare is a valuable tool to make square lines from one side to the other side of a board. I rebuild all of my tools and saws, I just refurbished 2 component saws that use 24" blades. One saw has 4 blades and the other has 6. I can put 6 cuts on a 2x6 in 2 seconds. Buy a quality tool. Ryobi is okay, I buy from Toolbarn.com, Tylertool.com, these two are reputable companies, also it is easier to purchase parts for reputable saws, like Dewalt, Milwaukee, and Rigid. Day in and day out Milwaukee is a good buy for the money, look for a good 15amp saw in a big mitre saw, this will keep the motor from bogging down under wet pressure treated lumber. Oh Hitachi makes pretty good stuff, depends all tools have a bottom end saw then a middle of the line saw and a top of the line saw. If you burn it up, it can be fixed, heck you get it to me and I'll fix it for you!!!

I would start with a good quality table saw. Look for one with a cast table with miter guide slots. You can rip material to width with the standard table saw fence and cross cut with the miter gauge. Of course a compund miter saw is much easier to use for crosscutting but the table saw will do for a while.

Bottom line is a table saw can cut both witdth and length, a miter saw can only cut length...

One last question for you woodworkers out there:

I know what a rip cut is, but what are they referring to and what is the limitation of the values for "Ripping Capacity" (right and left can be very different) on a table saw?

It's the width you adjust the rip fence. Most common is 24" some can do 50" these are not to accurate and usually needs helpers. Seldom will you ever use a table saw to do ripping more than 24" if you have to use a circular saw it would be easier.

i have both. got them cheap at harbour freight tools. love the mitre saw, makes cutting pvc a cinch!

Both are pretty necessary when you are really into building stands and canopies, but there are things you cannot do with a miter saw, but there is nothing that a miter saw can do that a table saw can't, so the table saw should come first.

I'm not a big fan of the cheap table saws though. If you have the means, and the room you'll be doing much better to go with a powerful, 10" saw, cabinet saw preferable, contractor acceptable. Reason why is that more power IMO equals more safety and smoother operation. If your motor is underpowered, your work can kick or the blade can heat and warp. Plus, the higher power saws can handle a dado set which I find indispensable. Finally, a good fence system is a MUST. Biesmeyer or an equivalent style fence made of nice, heavy STEEL is critical. If you don't spend on that, forget about accurate cuts and good looking work.

If you are short on space, you'd be surprised how much you can accomplish with a decent circular saw and a strait edge clamping guide. I built my first stand with this setup and although it takes much longer as setting up each cut takes a long time (to do it right... ), it's a very cost (and wife) effective alternative.

Back