Top Off Pump

jbadd99

Market
Reaction score
So I'm finally getting around to installing an ATO system - yes, after more than 5 years in the hobby (I've had a JBJ ATO system I bought about 4 years ago too!).

I bought a Hydor Pico 160 with the hopes of fitting the pump into a standard box-type 5 gallon jug that many people use to get water from the LFS. The opening is around 2" wide, maybe a little more. The Pico fits inside, but it doesn't have enough push for the head pressure I'm guessing. The opening is 3/8" and comes with a plastic adapter that I'm running a standard 3/8" line to.

I'd like to use this pump, since it fits in the jug opening. I'm thinking that a 3/8" to 1/4" adapter should solve my problem - since it's an ATO, the flow rate isn't a huge concern. Can anyone support my theory?

If this won't work, anyone have an idea on a pump that would fit inside the jug without modifying the jug? I'm pretty sure an Aqualifter or MJ is out of the question.

how much head pressure? could you create less and auto top the sump? Im not sure I understand.

The beauty of the aqualifter is it can be above the fresh source. No need to be in the jig. Is there a particular reason you don't want it? I ran mine for years having it pull up water from the ATO reservoir. Did have to replace it once. Ran it dry way too long by accident I think.

I've used an aqualifter pump with a 5g jug previously and it worked fine. On my son's nano I have a small pond pump I got from Lowe's inside the 5g jug.

Crew;1068553 wrote: how much head pressure? could you create less and auto top the sump? Im not sure I understand.

Here's the stupid thing - the 5 gallon jug sits on the floor next to the sump. It's roughly 24-26" tall, travels 6" horizontally, at which point it drips into the sump. With the pump flow on max, it rises a little more than the top of the jug, at which point it just sits, so I'm guessing it's head pressure.

When the RO jug is full, it pumps out no problem, when it gets down to 3/4 full, it stops.

jbadd99;1068558 wrote: Here's the stupid thing - the 5 gallon jug sits on the floor next to the sump. It's roughly 24-26" tall, travels 6" horizontally, at which point it drip
s into the sump. With the pump flow on max, it rises a little more than the top of the jug, at which point it just sits, so I'm guessing it's head pressure.

When the RO jug is full, it pumps out no problem, when it gets down to 3/4 full, it stops.

the gravity weight of the water in the jug when full is what's assisting the pump and you loss that extra push when the water level drops, the pump just doesn't have the head pressure to make the climb.
I also run an aqualifter on my ATO which replaced a brs ato dose pump.

MYREEFCLUB0070;1068621 wrote: the gravity weight of the water in the jug when full is what's assisting the pump and you loss that extra push when the water level drops, the pump just doesn't have the head pressure to make the climb.
I also run an aqualifter on my ATO which replaced a brs ato dose pump.

Yep.

Back