Torch sweepers: Sign of aggression?

KimKvB

Reaction score
Can torches be placed next to each other? I have had one torch in my tank for three months and I added another one a month ago next to it because I heard they could be directly next to each other. See pic…

Now the older torch is producing unusual long thick tentacles with white tips. I have heard this could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on which source I read.

On a similar subject, can two frogspawns be placed next to each other? One frogspawn, which is a wall type, is known to be aggressive in the tank.

Attachments

• 4F90FF94-4DE6-4A70-B098-94A1E3B23BEB.jpeg
    4F90FF94-4DE6-4A70-B098-94A1E3B23BEB.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 27
Their sweepers can certainly damage other corals nearby but I've never had an issue keeping frogspawn's with frogspawn's, torches with torches & hammers with hammers. They are all euphyllia's but I do not know if they can play well together amongst the different types. i.e. a frogspawn next to a torch. I'm sure someone else smarter than me will fill us in.

I believe, based solely on years of anecdotal evidence read on the internet and some personal experience, torches generally are the odd man out.

Frogspawns, Octospawn, and hammers all can be placed near each other. Should be safe, maybe this is where frammers come from? 🤔

Torches generally should only be near other torches.

Always monitor and adjust as necessary.

In my experience, euphylia are all bruisers. They will tough it out. Try them next to each other. Personally, I find this to be a nice problem to have, because it means your coral are thriving. If one starts to stomp another, then move one. But I have lots of coral that bump up against each other and just deal.

Back