Total Newbie - Starting small with a Coralife 32 cube!

ELBee

Supporting
Reaction score
So my husband and scored an almost new coralife for just $30. I just couldn't bear to pass it up, or to use a specialized marine all-in-one for freshwater (I've been in that hobby for 20+ years). So thus began our entry into reefing!

I'm so excited to be here and learn from members! I was turned on to this club by a member that I got my very first corals from (a Kenya tree, a small bit of gsp and zoa frags). I plan on joining as a supporting member in the new year because I have definitely caught the bug and so has my husband!

I wish I had known about this group a month ago when I got it and just started cycling and scaping- definitely open to criticism on the scape, but please be gently- this is the first reef tank I've ever done :)

Current stock: for Goby City
10 dwarf hermit crabs
5 various snails (nassarius and turbo)
1 firefish/fire goby
1 purple firefish/goby
1 green clown goby (which is becoming my favorite and quickly!)

I've named all of the hermits Chip, so that now we have "Fish and Chips" (just a peek into my awful sense of humor)
PXL_20221204_211133121.jpg

PXL_20221204_221138898.jpg
PXL_20221204_222222269.jpg

Welcome to the club, looks like you have a great start!
Thank you so much for saying that! I was so nervous I'd show my pics and be torn apart to be honest! Especially with how that Kenya tree looks in one of the pics. That was taken right after transferring- I promise- it's much happier now!

Off to a good start! The people here are very knowledgeable and helpful. Make sure you ask questions if you have them. I am new to the hobby too and the people in this club have been amazing!

Looking good, but why so much clean up crew with so little fish?
Also, is that a conch in there?
It certainly is. My husband and I are working on this tank together and he desperately wanted the conch! We're up for rehoming if it gets too large in the future.

Looking good, but why so much clean up crew with so little fish?
Also, is that a conch in there?
Regarding the CUC, before I was introduce to this club, I was following what I could online and most sources advised adding the CUC first. So that's what we did! I am SO glad to have found a good place to ask my (MANY) questions!

Regarding the CUC, before I was introduce to this club, I was following what I could online and most sources advised adding the CUC first. So that's what we did! I am SO glad to have found a good place to ask my (MANY) questions!
Yeah, typically you would do a CUC once you get algae or diatom bloom to help clean it up. Pics are hard to tell, your system looks so clean still.

Back