Toxin testing!!!!!!

jason sartain

Market
Reaction score
OK,I posted in another thread that my nem died in my 24 Gal Nano and nuked the tank.
I did a 60% WC and rinsed my LR in fresh water to remove anything bad that might be hiding on it.
My question's are,
How long should I wait before I add anything back to the tank?
How long will it be Nuked?
How can I test for something like this?(This being Toxins from the nem)
Any help will be great!!!!

Well, if you rinse the LR in fresh water, you will have another cycle I would assume, so I'd say a few weeks.

Nems really do not release "toxins", nems are not toxic!! What nukes the tank is the die off from the bio-mass that is released into the water. To add to that, if there were toxins, a FW rinse would do little to remove them and no more to remove then then a SW rinse would have. But since you rinsed in FW, the chance that now you have even more die off is a real possibility. So expect another 4 week cycle.

Thanks for the help guys,
I'm OK with another cycle because my Darwin's seem to be happy in the fuge(there's lots of pods to eat).
I'm now going to turn this into a nice coral tank with my two clowns being the only other fish in the system.
I'm going to change my display into a SPS,LPS tank,so all my brains and other soft corals will be moved to the nano,and I'll have to sell or trade a lot of them also because they all wont fit.
The water did stink a little and it was real cloudy,so I don't know if the nem dying caused a little crash or not.
I did a WC on Sun and all the params were fine,everybody was eating good and there were no signs of trouble at bed time last night,so I don't know?!?

Back