Trachy Brain Question

theplantman

Market
Reaction score
:confused2: Over the past 4 days my brain coral has refused to expand like normal during the day. There are no tears anywhere on the coral and no sign of pests. I lifted it to get a closer look and the bottom plate is in good condition and the flesh feels just as pliable and spongy as normal. No jelly or slime and color is still good.

Any Ideas? Would it do this if it was about to split off a new mouth, it currently has 2.

Water Parameters

Salt 1.025
PH 8.0-8.1
Calcium 400-450
Phosphates - 0
Nitrates - 0
Alkalinity - 2.5 mEQ/L = 8.75 DCH
Temp 78.5 to 79.6

Any theories would be appreciated

I do not have enough shade with room for this thing anywhere, it is in the same location it has been since I first put it in the tank 5 months ago. It did this once before but only for a day. See latest pic of tank. The 250w metal halide is about 27" above the location of the brain coral. Just out of curiosity, Acans like the one in front of the brain don't send out sweeper tentacles do they?

IMG_1805.jpg
alt="" />

Thanks, my wife actually picked out most of the coral in the tank and helped place it. A great hobby for keeping the family involved in something together.

Back to the topic. My only concern with placing it where the other clam is, is the sun corals, I had a birdsnest that did not glue right, get pushed out of place by the pistol shrimp we had and land in the sun coral and overnight the sun coral dissolved it to the skeleton. The trumpet coral location is too small, when this thing opens it is 8" across and I only have about 4" there. If it rubbing against the rock won't hurt it I will give it a try. One thing I did change was the water flow in the tank, I directed one of my returns across the bottom to get more flow to our maxima clam that lept into our hammer coral from his rock perch and last night i moved him to a new location and removed the flow from blowing onto the brain like it was while nursing the clam back to health.

Could that be the cause? the increased water flow?

dawgdude;364130 wrote: It could be. I would be aware of the LPS tentacles as well so I see your issues with placement. Tell the wife you need another tank. :)

Funny you should mention that, I am getting ready to plumb a 29 gallon biocube into this tank as a refugium and hope to stock it with seahorses for the missus once I get enough plant growth in it.

I think i could arrange to move the brain, but would need to find a home for a 5" mushroom rock, the brown and green stripe one that is to the right of the sun coral. It must have 20 to 30 shrooms on it. Been thinking about loosing this piece for a while to make room on the floor for when my plate tree starts dropping plate corals.:D

I have nothing of value to add, but wanted to say WOW! That tank is incredible! Hats off to you and the missus.

Beautiful tank... WOW!

Your alk is a bit low...

Do you run carbon? Could be a "chemical warfare" issue with all those corals, even though nobody may be able to "touch" - they can still put a whammy on each other with toxins.

Other than that nothing jumps out at me but that is one beautiful tank! Well done!

Jenn

Off topic, but you have a GORGEOUS tank. One of my favorite tanks.

JennM;364283 wrote: Beautiful tank... WOW!

Your alk is a bit low...

Do you run carbon? Could be a "chemical warfare" issue with all those corals, even though nobody may be able to "touch" - they can still put a whammy on each other with toxins.

Other than that nothing jumps out at me but that is one beautiful tank! Well done!

Jenn

I was running carbon in with my phosban, but removed it about a month ago because my zoas were shrinking. I was concerned it was the problem. They have rebounded wonderfully. Any ideas on how to get the alk a little higher? Before the corals all grew in so nicely, it was averaging 10.5 dch. It is a 34gal tank, and just to be safe over the past week I have done two 5 gal water changes spaced 3 days apart. I normally do one every 7 days so this Sunday it will get its normal change again.

Can purigen effect Alk? I started running it when I pulled the carbon out.

Sorry for all the ?'s but i am relatively new to reefing. Only been at it six months.

I like Seachem Reef Builder for Alk.

Why did you stop using carbon? Was that coincidental with the brain acting funky?

Purigen shouldn't bother alk - neither should carbon.

Seachem also makes a carbon alternative called Renew... that might be worth a try too.

Jenn

dawgdude;364189 wrote: As long as it doesnt have the ability to sting or have tenticles (ie no SPS or LPS for the most part) you can put them in with seahorses. I would throw the mushroom rock in the tank for the horses. If you dont want it then LMK and ill trade you some corals for it. Ive got a mushroom/ric tank in the works and it doesnt look like I have that morph yet.

Dawg,

The mushroom rock is yours, I can bring it to the next meeting or we could meet up this Friday as my office is closed.

I stopped the carbon, 1st because it was binding the phosban up in my reactor, and second from a suggestion from Chris at fishscales regarding the deterioration of all my zoas. Within 2 weeks of pulling the carbon, all my zoas rebounded and are now looking great. Funny thing is nothing was going on with the paly's.

I have been getting worried about everthing growing so well that it's getting to the point where there may be too much coral in the tank, hence the addition of the 29 refugium coming this month. I just keep an eye on my shrimp and serpent stars since they are supposed to feel the effect of water quality issues first.

I think I am going to pick up some more test kits for trace elements I do not currently test for as well as ammonia.

And thanks for the compliment.

JennM;364355 wrote: I like Seachem Reef Builder for Alk.

Why did you stop using carbon? Was that coincidental with the brain acting funky?

Purigen shouldn't bother alk - neither should carbon.

Seachem also makes a carbon alternative called Renew... that might be worth a try too.

Jenn

radha;364360 wrote: Again, off topic, but you should totally get a nem!!

I had thought about it for the pair of clowns, but imagine the carnage it would cause trying to find its happy place in the tank. Thats why I have the hammer, alveopora and frogspawn. I was hoping they would host one of those. No luck.

theplantman;364363 wrote: I had thought about it for the pair of clowns, but imagine the carnage it would cause trying to find its happy place in the tank. Thats why I have the hammer, alveopora and frogspawn. I was hoping they would host one of those. No luck.

They will host, they just need time. If you ever do think of getting a nem, though, I would get a green bubble tip, it would just POP under your lighting!!

OK, here is the deal on the brain. I think it is going to be toast. My wife caught our mimic blenny picking at it this afternoon several times (this is a first, they have been together for over three months) and the flesh has now been stripped away from its skeleton in an area the size of a quarter. It starts around one of the two mouths and extends up about an inch towards the top and the flesh around this exposed area is dark purple and spotty. One mouth still okay and open, the picked at one looks disfunctional.

So now the question, do I remove from the tank before it dies and causes a nitrate spike? all the reading I have done says that once the skeleton is exposed these corals are pretty much toast. Or does someone want to try and nurse back to health in a tank that does not have any fish?

dawgdude;364476 wrote: I have nursed MANY LPS with severly exposed skeletons back to health. Its not easy but can be done. The area where the skeleton is showing will most likely not grow flesh back, however the coral still can recover and grow back over the exposed skeleton. I had a friend running all T-5s who was losting multiple brains which then thrived in my tank for some reason. Ive since moved and broken down that tank but all the brains are still alive and kicking. Ill just meet up with you at the meeting for the shrooms if that is alright. Let me know what you would like me to frag for you. Ive got a few cool zoas you might like.

I believe you have one called mint chocolate chip? Would love some of those if you have any.

Back