Training Clowns to find Nem

jdw

Reaction score
I have a mated pair of clowns and I have recently introduced a LTA (thanks Bobz). My clowns stay at the top of the tank by the surface of the water. Is there a was to entice the clowns down to the nem so they can find it quicker? I seem to recall a thread on here about having a spot light on the nem when all lights are off. Somehow the spot light draws the clowns down for a closer inspection maybe?

I understand it can take awhile for them to start a symbiotic relationship, I was just curious if there was anything I could do to help speed the system along.

Yes you can try and shine a light on the nem which might make clowns host. And I know this might sound funny but print a pictire of your same clowns hosting a nem and put the pic on the glass... It worked for my old tomato clown.

JC_k;970148 wrote: Yes you can try and shine a light on the nem which might make clowns host. And I know this might sound funny but print a pictire of your same clowns hosting a nem and put the pic on the glass... It worked for my old tomato clown.

thats an interesting idea.

Mine did the same thing. They didn't want to host in my RBTA. I took a clear plastic container...captured them in that and stuck the entire thing over the RBTA. They didn't host it immediately but they then knew where it was. Once I removed the container (about 8 hours later and in the dark), it took them maybe a couple of days to host. The female was first and the male followed within about 24 hours.

JC_k;970148 wrote: Yes you can try and shine a light on the nem which might make clowns host. And I know this might sound funny but print a pictire of your same clowns hosting a nem and put the pic on the glass... It worked for my old tomato clown.

I set my laptop up next to my tank with a video of clowns in a nem on loop for three days straight, and it eventually worked (unless of course they just decided to do it on their own).

porpoiseaquatics;970158 wrote: Mine did the same thing. They didn't want to host in my RBTA. I took a clear plastic container...captured them in that and stuck the entire thing over the RBTA. They didn't host it immediately but they then knew where it was. Once I removed the container (about 8 hours later and in the dark), it took them maybe a couple of days to host. The female was first and the male followed within about 24 hours.

This is what i would do if i did it all over again.

I've always bought a black pond plant basket put the nem in it with the clowns. I just clamp it to the top of the tank or zip tie some styrofoam to it and it will float.

jrhunter0000;970168 wrote: It will happen just give it some time how long has the nem been in the tank?

I just put the nem in last night, but my clowns stay at the top of tank and have since I got them. I was just wanting to see if I could entice the clowns towards the bottom. Maybe speed up the process :)

JDW;970228 wrote: I just put the nem in last night, but my clowns stay at the top of tank and have since I got them. I was just wanting to see if I could entice the clowns towards the bottom. Maybe speed up the process :)

I would wait a couple days until you try anything. Mabye put some food by the nem. Your kinda lucky, what kind of clowns are they? My skunks one time went to an anemoen and killed it because they hosted it a little to hard......

5 gallon bucket has always worked for me, the only thing is, you have to be able to remove the clowns and LTA without harming them. Simply place them in a half full 5g bucket for a few hours. It's sort of like hooking your buddy up on a blind date, they're gonna get to know each other, whether they continue the relationship or not is up to them

I figured out why my clowns stay up top. My flame angel harasses my female.

I chased my female down towards the bottom of the water column where the rocks and nem is located and kinda held her in place. As soon as she got down there my flame angel comes swimming in super fast and starts to chase her. My hand in the tank was barely a deterrent to the angel.

Since I can't keep my hand in the tank 24/7, should I sell my clowns, and try to get a larger pair? Or even a different colored pair? IF I can get them to host the nem, will the clowns stay there in safety or will flame angel run them off again?

porpoiseaquatics;970158 wrote: Mine did the same thing. They didn't want to host in my RBTA. I took a clear plastic container...captured them in that and stuck the entire thing over the RBTA. They didn't host it immediately but they then knew where it was. Once I removed the container (about 8 hours later and in the dark), it took them maybe a couple of days to host. The female was first and the male followed within about 24 hours.

+++1. Works like a charm even better if you can get everyone in the same container. It took only a few hrs and my two baby clowns went right for it. I kept them together for a day or two now there inseparable.

Back