transfer tank help

demifelix

Market
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to cycle the new tank in order to transfer livestock from my existing tank to the new tank and I have a problem. I only have 1 skimmer and 1 set of lights that run on my existing tank. What's the best way to get the new tank cycled? Can I cycle without lights? I definitely need to run skimmer on the new tank too right? Should I buy another skimmer just to cycle the new tank?

I don't think lights or skimmer are required for a cycle.

In fact I cycled my tank with some frozen food and no sump. Only power heads at least I went from high ammonia to no ammonia and everything else stabilized.

I believe cycling a new tank is just about increasing the nitrifying bacteria, which don't need light to grow. So you can get through the cycle without lighting. And a skimmer just pulls excess nutrients from the water, which a new tank shouldn't really have yet. I didn't add a skimmer until about 6 months after setting up my tank, when the budget would allow. :) So IMO you can cycle a tank without buying more lights or a skimmer. Hope that helps!

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

so no light and no skimmer needed initially until I transfer the livestock over?

Felix, I have never cycled with lights or a skimmer. Lights just promote algae growth during the cycle. You will be fine. Are you putting some established live rock in your new setup?

Nickh06;1050605 wrote: Felix, I have never cycled with lights or a skimmer. Lights just promote algae growth during the cycle. You will be fine. Are you putting some established live rock in your new setup?

Yep, I'll take some rocks from my existing sump and mix them with dry rocks. Wish I can take some base rock from my tank but my tank is packed with rocks and I can't remove the base rocks without disturbing all the corals.

Felix,

I went right from my smaller tank to my larger tank without a meaningful cycle. I used new sand, my existing live rock (and added more that was from another reefer's tank), new water (24 hours old) and moved everything over after the temp, ph, and salinity matched in a few hours. I did have a dosing pump adding Stability for a while just to be safe.

That way, I did not have to worry about issues of maintaining multiple tanks at once - and my livestock was very happy. Didn't lose a thing related to the move.

Just an option for you...

Felix you've still got these candy canes over here. So when your ready let me know

BrandonMason;1050775 wrote: Felix you've still got these candy canes over here. So when your ready let me know

I've been thinking about them Brandon. How many heads does it have now? It's been like 3 months you have been holding it for me :)

m1resnick;1050711 wrote: Felix,

I went right from my smaller tank to my larger tank without a meaningful cycle. I used new sand, my existing live rock (and added more that was from another reefer's tank), new water (24 hours old) and moved everything over after the temp, ph, and salinity matched in a few hours. I did have a dosing pump adding Stability for a while just to be safe.

That way, I did not have to worry about issues of maintaining multiple tanks at once - and my livestock was very happy. Didn't lose a thing related to the move.

Just an option for you...

Thanks. I have some aptasia and bubble algae on some of the rocks so I don't want to move them over. I'm starting over with dry rocks though

Back