transition to a reef

hiimsean

Supporting
Reaction score
a while ago i posted about converting my planted freshwater tank into a saltwater reef tank. i purchased a 36g corner tank, 34x24x22, that i have since planted. its rather boring so i've been researching a lot about reef tanks and setups. the top isn't very helpful for lighting since it has the trim coming in about 6" on both sides. i currently have a 24" 48watt t5 fixture over it for the plants and there are some dark spot in the back of the tank. because of this i was considering a 175w MH setup for a reef tank. the underneath could probably hold a small sump, the opening is about 12" wide and 24" deep, so a 10g or something in that nature would fit. if this setup would be too much of a PITA i've been looking at cubes and similar tanks, 20longs and 29g tanks. im still a noob when it comes to corals and SW fish so im not sure what i'd like to keep yet. i do like zoas and other soft corals.

a few questions i have
1) would the MH be my best bet for lighting? will i see a large increase in my electric bill with a 175w setup or should i stick to t5s?
2) would i need a skimmer. i've read that some smaller tanks do well with a fuge with some LR and LS and some macroalgae.
3) i think a reef would look awesome in the corner tank but would i be better off with something a little more standard?

here's a picture of the tank as of now, you can see the dark space towards the back of the tank.
IMG_2223.jpg
alt="" />

edit: the cabinet space is 10"x16", a little smaller than what i was hoping for

i already want a larger tank but our small apartment has a 125g, 75g, and the 36g :D about as many fish tanks as i can fit in here

Hmmmm... then convert the 75 :) That way you will be satisfied for at least a FEW more days :)

b

we'll i've decided not to use the corner tank, i hate the way that it distorts the view and if im going with a reef i want to be able to view it in all it's glory :D i have a 20g long sitting around so i may use that but i really want to find a cube. i'll most likely use a 20g (long for a long tank and high for a cube) for a sump. im still researching skimmers but i want to do a skimmer and a fuge in the sump. i'll most likely use a 175w MH for lighting either tank i go with

Hi, I was reluctant to chime in, being this is the reef forum, but I think your FW planted tank is beautiful and I would not tear it down. I am ready to try my hand at a low tech FW planted tank in my 29 gal. I already have a 75 gal reef, now all I need is a planted tank. They both are beautiful in their own way. I hated to see you tear down such a beautiful planted tank, so I am glad to hear you are keeping it, and I think your making the right decision to set the reef up in another tank. Good luck.

thanks for your comments but i still plan on taking down the planted tank. i've done a few planted tanks now. the fish are IMO boring, the apistos and angels. im just ready to try something different. i dont have a lot of room at my place or i'd keep the planted and add the reef. i may keep the tank for later on down the road since it can fit very well in a room

Back