Trident automatic testing. (I’m very interested)

I just waited a long time :). They are releasing units every week at online stores. Neptune said that they should be sending 1-2 units per LFS. Hopefully, you will be able to get one too :).

Have you tested the accuracy? Are you using it with the DOS system? Im curious if it can be used with the BRS dosers instead.

Im going to give them a few more months to see how they hold up before I bite the bullet and get one.

I have not yet hooked it up to my DOS system as I want to make sure it is accurate. It is spot on compared to the Red Sea manual tests. Very accurate. Supposedly they can be used with any dosers provided you program your APEX properly. However, they do have out of the box easy click for controlling the DOS units.

Have you tested the accuracy? Are you using it with the DOS system? Im curious if it can be used with the BRS dosers instead.

Im going to give them a few more months to see how they hold up before I bite the bullet and get one.

Its pretty accurate. You can calibrate it with their cal solution or you can calibrate it to your tank parameters. I chose to calibrate with my tank parameters, salifert numbers, since my tank has been good with those numbers.

You should watch the Neptune video about accuracy it’s pretty good

From what I saw behind the scenes and what they have shown on the vids, it's pretty accurate and consistent. The question is if the unit holds it's accuracy over time, 6mos, a year, two years. If so, then it's worth every penny for those with SPS predominant systems.

From what I saw behind the scenes and what they have shown on the vids, it's pretty accurate and consistent. The question is if the unit holds it's accuracy over time, 6mos, a year, two years. If so, then it's worth every penny for those with SPS predominant systems.

I dont take promotional videos seriously. Anything is accurate right after you calibrate it and demostrate it. Im more interested in actual personal accounts and as you said longevity and consistency.

They do include a bottle of the cal solution with every reagent pack purchase. It may mean it needs frequent calibration. Im on my second reagent pack but havent had to recalibrate.

It has been consistent out of the box with no need to calibrate so far. When you change reagent bottles there is a possibility you might have to calibrate after 72 hours, but not typically. When you ship unit back and swap it out for another unit after a year and half, Neptune will recalibrate again. So, you might never have to calibrate :).

It has been consistent out of the box with no need to calibrate so far. When you change reagent bottles there is a possibility you might have to calibrate after 72 hours, but not typically. When you ship unit back and swap it out for another unit after a year and half, Neptune will recalibrate again. So, you might never have to calibrate :).

I got the impression that you only send it back if service is needed. Did they mention you have to swap it out every year and a half?

So I went back to the trident FAQ on r2r and it says it's not a required service but recommended. You can order a kit for under $100 or send it in for more. And doing a hot-swap is an option (but probably cost more).

So I went back to the trident FAQ on r2r and it says it's not a required service but recommended. You can order a kit for under $100 or send it in for more. And doing a hot-swap is an option (but probably cost more).

I hadnt heard about it needed to be serviced, let alone every 18 months. And it costs $100 to DIY it? That alone might be a deal breaker.

Yup just going to sit back and wait till winter and see how it pans out.

With so much not obvious and under the hood on this unit, definitely going to swap every 1.5 years. Consistent testing spot on is worth it to me as I hate testing but need the results. I love automation :).

With so much not obvious and under the hood on this unit, definitely going to swap every 1.5 years. Consistent testing spot on is worth it to me as I hate testing but need the results. I love automation :).
They say 18 to 24 months depending on the testing intervals the user opts for with the service. I believe there's 4 or 5 dosing heads and a valve in there. Along with the testing vial. I'd probably hot swap the 1st time and DIY from there after.

Last edited:
I don’t take promotional videos seriously. Anything is accurate right after you calibrate it and demostrate it. Im more interested in actual personal accounts and as you said longevity and consistency.

You don’t have to take promotional video serious it just shows you That it’s consistent in its testing they go into detail about margin of error on common test kits and how precision is more usable than accuracy. It’s compare to shooting a target. Still worth a couple minutes of time to watch it even if you’re not going to use trident

Back