Trident or Alkatronic?

Trident or Alkatronic?

• Total voters

jman930

Supporting
Reaction score
Hey reefers - do any of you use either of the products in title? I have an apex classic (wasn't called the classic when I got it though LOL) and have been looking at these two units. Looks like if I want to use the trident I will need to replace my apex....fun....to the 2016 model (current generation). That puts me at around 499 on the low end. Add in the trident and I'm looking at $1100 + tax and shipping + $10000 per our of my precious time to set up a new apex LOL. I also see that the reagents are hard to come by ( I know I know Covid...) but alternatively are easier to use.

On the flip side I see that the Alkatronic doesn't require me to purchase a new apex but does have a higher price tag ($899). from watching videos I see I can "monitor" my alk from my apex but not control it. Only the Alkatronic can do that with its internal dosing pump.

So.....all that to ask these questions. Of those that use either of these units which did you go with and why? what would you do differently? is it worth it?

Added a poll to make it more "fun"

Thanks!

Never tried the alktronic. I have the trident. It was an easy choice for me since I already had the apex. It measures the big 3 and I believe alktronic only measures alk but if you're using a calcium reactor it shouldnt matter anyways. Reagents for the trident are indeed hard to come by right now. The only place that has stock right now is saltwateraquarium.com and thats only the 2 month kit. The trident and apex give you the ability to automatically adjust the dosing through the readings. I tried it for a little bit and it worked ok but I cant trust it long term since it will give erratic readings if the vial gets dirty. It's supposed to need a cleaning once a year but I had to take mine apart and clean it at around the 6-month mark. This is just MY opinion but I think for the trident-controlled dosing you have to test more often for it to be effective. At least 8 tests a day (4 combined, 4 alk-only). The minimal testing schedule is 2 alk-only tests and 2 combined (cal/alk/mg) and that's supposed to last 2 months.

Ah....cleaning. Didn’t think of that. Very important to ensure correct testing especially if dosing off the results. Good point!

I would go with the Trident only because a few friends and fellow ARC members have them. I don't know of anyone that has an Alktronic. The local community is a resource that I would definitely utilize. Plus, the folks that have them do like them and the reviews are positive.

Back