Trident or Mindspring

fidofence1

Market
Reaction score
I’m trying to decide which route to go. Trident would be easier since I have a Apex and can automatically adjust my levels but I’m intrigued by the Mindspring having additional tests and at more frequent intervals. What route would you go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good question. I'm not really sure yet. I know a few folks with the trident and it works great. I don't know anyone with personal experience with the mindspring but it does sound promising...

Thinking either mindspring, reefbot or maybe something new announced at Macna!?

Hmm I had been planning to get a trident after a few more months to see how people are liking it, but the Mindspring (never heard of it until now) looks to be a better option and tests for everything I want besides Phosphate. Refills are cheaper too.

Ive been seeing people with the trident having calibration issues testing calcium but otherwise seems to work well so far.

The reefbot is cool but only works with test kits I find to be inferior.

this one is (I think) being announced at MACNA as well - so even more choices.

I have to say I'm glad I haven't gotten a Trident yet. With all these new things hitting the market it's nice to have some choices.
Mindspring does sound interesting. For those that have a calcium reactor, I like the co2 measurement. At $1414.40 for the 1st year of ownership it's $239.65 more than the Trident's $1174.75 1st year cost. With only needing to test PO4 occasionally I wonder what the savings would be on all the reagent refills for the standard kits.

I have to say I'm glad I haven't gotten a Trident yet. With all these new things hitting the market it's nice to have some choices.
Mindspring does sound interesting. For those that have a calcium reactor, I like the co2 measurement. At $1414.40 for the 1st year of ownership it's $239.65 more than the Trident's $1174.75 1st year cost. With only needing to test PO4 occasionally I wonder what the savings would be on all the reagent refills for the standard kits.
I wish they would open up an API so I can get to my data without being forced to use their web service. I know that's not a big deal to most people - but I really want to move towards having ALL of my data - from all sources - be accessible from 1 place where I have control over what I see and how I see it. I can also use other services or things to react to that data.

Reefbot is supposed to be announcing that capability tomorrow - the others just respond back with "nah, you use what we give you". It's my data from my system that I want to control - whichever one is reliable and provides me that level of control / access is who will get my $$

I wish they would open up an API so I can get to my data without being forced to use their web service. I know that's not a big deal to most people - but I really want to move towards having ALL of my data - from all sources - be accessible from 1 place where I have control over what I see and how I see it. I can also use other services or things to react to that data.

Reefbot is supposed to be announcing that capability tomorrow - the others just respond back with "nah, you use what we give you". It's my data from my system that I want to control - whichever one is reliable and provides me that level of control / access is who will get my $$
I understand where you're coming from but, I too, feel the Reefbot is limited with the test kits you have to use. The cost of the reagent refills for those kits will likely be much higher than Trident or Mindspring if there's as high a volume of testing done.

I will also say that at current refill costs, after the 1st year the Mindspring, at $419.40 per year, is $155.40 less than the $574.80 for Neptune's reagents. There's also the rebuild costs at the 2yr mark for the Trident that needs to be looked at.
If one is to believe there's a 5yr life for either product the Mindspring will be hundreds of dollars cheaper over that span. By then I'm sure there'll be the next big thing on the market too. I haven't seen their UI yet, so I don't know how easy/hard it will be for you to poll.

Totally agree I want everything in one place. Im pretty sure someone out there with some HTML experience can write a script to transcribe the test results into the APEX logs.

But yeah, Im waiting until next summer. Let other people figure out the problems first.

If it wasn’t for a hurricane, I would go down to MACNA to see all the new stuff in person. Only hope people post on YouTube about what is available or will be available for my replacement build.

Won “opportunity “ to purchase trident, and did, but still might sell due to supply/demand and not being sure if I wanna keep/get new WiFi apex

Lmk if anyone want to make $$ offer :0)

With cool art ;0)

Attachments

• 13294D61-04D6-43F9-9029-1DFA1AE02CFE.jpeg
    13294D61-04D6-43F9-9029-1DFA1AE02CFE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 95081A5F-750D-47FE-893C-269C10E251EB.jpeg
    95081A5F-750D-47FE-893C-269C10E251EB.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • C319A29E-4F58-4F44-8775-DA88F7D8DA9A.jpeg
    C319A29E-4F58-4F44-8775-DA88F7D8DA9A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • EDE6E7FC-7CBD-4405-9255-AADB5BD9BD9B.jpeg
    EDE6E7FC-7CBD-4405-9255-AADB5BD9BD9B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
Won “opportunity “ to purchase trident, and did, but still might sell due to supply/demand and not being sure if I wanna keep/get new WiFi apex

Lmk if anyone want to make $$ offer :0)

With cool art ;0)
I'll give you my 5 year old for it, but no returns!!!

Somewhere around where the last three sold on eBay would make it a no brainer for me to sell.

Like I said, if I kept it, I’d almost have to buy a new Apex unit too, so that would definitely add to the expense.

If I sold it for a pretty good price now, I could get that, and about halfway pay for a future trident, when they become more available and in less demand

Lol! The prices on eBay are crazy ridiculous!
I’ll rather wait on the market and see how other Test and Dosing Equipment are farming among users. The evolution on this grew incredible fast just in the last three years that the prices will be inevitable fall down and benefiting reefers.

The interface between their products and the rest of their products and the service has proved to be fair but with so many devices from manufacturers doing the same, testing and dosing it will be a balanced market.

Last edited:
Back