Trigger in mixed reef

larrynews

Supporting
Reaction score
What is everyone’s experiences and what kind did you have. I did one in my tank back in Ohio and I don’t remember any bad things happening, I had a blue throat but I did a lot of things in that tank you shouldn’t do in a reef some worked most didn’t. Thanks

I think it depends somewhat on the trigger. I don't have a ton of experience with these fish but I see blue-throats all the time in mixed reef systems. I'm trying to think of another type that I've seen in reef tanks and I'm coming up empty.

i currently have a niger trigger and bluethroat trigger in my reef tank they dont bother my shrimp or snails

All triggers in the genus Xanthicthys are reef safe, which includes the bluethroat, redtail/sargassum, linespot, and crosshatch triggers (and a couple others that are rare in the trade). Niger triggers (Odonus niger) are similarly safe, however they will sometimes eat small fish in the wild and will probably do the same in a reef (just avoid darts). Pinktail triggers (Melicthys vidua) are safe with coral, however they will attack some inverts and may nip at fins. I've recently been forced to reset my reef, and I am considering trying a small pinktail or redtail trigger this go round.

Last edited:
Back