Triggers and Reefs

lorenk

Market
Reaction score
I've been having second thoughts on getting rid of my Niger Trigger. I've done some reading and I've seen some posts on various sites that indicate they are safe with softies. There is of course debate and several posts about triggers showing down on SPSs which I don't have.

Anyone have any experience with triggers and softies?

Also, I assume a CUC is out of the question unless I want to supply the guy with treats.

The Niger trigger won't eat softies, the guy know it's poisonious.

I've seen ChrisJets tank and he keep one with his SPS. But every fish is different and I personally don't trust them in a reef tank.

Keep him fed and he'll be okay.

I would be more worried about smaller fish then softie corals.

They can be reef safe. They should usually be your last fish as they are typically territorial. I got rid of my blue throat due to his aggression, but he never touched a coral or shrimp... although he did eat a small wrasse.

I would keep it in there and see how he does. If he starts acting up...off to the LFS he goes!

Thanks. I'm going to keep him around for a while. To test him out, I bought some hermits and snails and will see how long they last.

Regarding small fish...I was moving a piece of LR from my nano into my 55 and didn't realize the clown gobi had hitched a ride. Then I see him dart off the rock and onto the glass wall. Next the trigger starts to zone in on him and it was quite a trick to get him out before he became a small snack.

In general, he's the most peaceful fish in the tank with the exception of the tang. The tomato clown is the meanest by far.

chrisjet;55231 wrote: my trigger , is great, very docile "niger"

Thats a risky way to say things but ok! lol... Accident waiting to happen with this quote.

I have had 2 triggers and both were pretty much docile..non-agressive. Now the Undulated Trigger I had was a helleon!

Back