Trim question

db366

Reaction score
So I got a 65 gallon tank the other day. The center brace had been taken out and ran without one. That kind of freaked me out so after googling it I saw some people were running the 65's without the trim and others were just putting in a acrylic one to replace the black one. I decided to go ahead and replace the trim with 1/4 acrylic. I bought nylon screws but there wasn't enough room to drill the trim to use it so I also picked up some 2 part epoxy that is supposed to hold 2500 psi. I applied a liberal amount of the epoxy and let it set for about 30 mins (says it only takes 1-5 mins to set). The tank still has a slight bow in it. I read that the stock center brace had some slack in it to allow for a slight bow. Is this correct? Should I halfway drain the tank and then redo the trim with another piece of acrylic that hooks over the front and back side of the trim?

The bow is super slight, looking down the side you really can't tell. I can tell because the egg crate top I made doesn't fit perfectly square.

Didn't you just have a tank leak on you?

Removing that brace makes the tank structurally unsound; there's no telling the damage that has already been done to that tank. Even though you're replacing the brace, that won't undo whats already been done.

IMO, for what a tank is worth (compared to your home), I wouldn't risk it.

Back