Triton Method

USMC Reefer

Supporting
Reaction score
Anyone running the Triton method on there tanks? I’m about to start a 180 build and wanted to know real world results on top of costs of the products compared to just doing standard eater changes. Thanks guys/gals

I personally havent run with that system.  However, I do know three members who have in the past and all their systems suffered after the one year mark or shortly after and abandoned the program.  I wish I could give you specifics.

Your welcome.  Again, Im sorry have the details perhaps others will chime in.  In my limited years of reefing Ive never personally been able to take shortcuts and have it work out very well.  :(

I also have no experience with Triton method. The BRS investigates team is exploring it now so may be worth your time to wait and see what they have to say. I personally think there is merit to this method and am doing something similar but just starting out.

Can't speak from experience - just my thoughts after enough hours of research to determine if I wanted to try.

Triton method is very intriguing - however the more investigating I did the more it really seemed like more time, more $$$ and more risk than the more traditional methods. Those reasons - whether accurate or not - is what has kept me from moving that direction.

The people experiencing success seem to have advanced chemistry related knowledge and could probably do what they are doing in their sleep without all the expense of the triton specific additives.

All just my opinion of course.

I have started doing something similar to the Triton method that I started in May of this year. After getting a Triton test done I started adding the few elements I was low on. K, Sr, Mo, I and a little Fe. I've left S, V, Mn, Ni & Zn alone. They were a little low but no way to regularly test for them.

The one area major I differ is I've done two water changes in that time and have an ATS running. I got another test done mid-August and the things I was off on in May were much closer to being inline. The only thing I'm a little concerned about is elevated Lithium in both tests. Everything I've read says this is common with US based salt mixes. I may switch from Reef Crystals to something else but I haven't made up my mind yet. Keep in mind I still consider myself a noob and my tank has only been up and running since 6/1/16. But since I stopped using GFO and got the ATS going things have been going much better for me. This could be the tank maturing and the results of my learning curve though. In the end I feel there is no true replacement for at least some water changes. There can be things in the water that Triton does not test for. These things, like formaldehyde or other pollutants, can get into the water from the air in our homes. By doing water changes you will be able to dilute the buildup of these bad chemicals.

I would continue to read up on people that have been using the method longer term along with following the BRS tests. Hopefully someone that has been doing it locally will chime in too.

I agree with Brett and Adam. Triton will work in a short term but in long term, it may even cost u more than the traditional water change way. They will much more time consuming + headache too. To me, nothing beat the old water change method and u let the corals tell u if there is something wrong with your tank. Then do test(s) and try to get things back to normal. There are a lot more stuff to consider than just replace to elements ( toxins, a fish or corals died, found some funny things on your sump...)

Doing the math, it looks insanely expensive.  I still feel that long term, a CaRx is the way to go......

Maybe we should do this elsewhere. Daddy, feel free to ask that we move this to its own thread if you want.

Are we referring to Triton specifically or the idea being short term and/or expensive? I guess I mean no water changes and just replace all necessary elements with dosing while exporting no3 and po4 by other means as well?

I've spent the last hour trying to find a youtube video. I feel like it was Thomas Brown but maybe not. I think the "host" was in Florida looking at a tank he had ordered from a store down there and stopped by a family residence, maybe suggested by the store owner, who had a couple of really large reef tanks in their home. The more dense reef, REALLY big with tons of coral and fish, they claimed, was a no water change system. It was early in my reefing so I didn't pay that close attention to all of the specifics. I'm not sure exactly what they were dosing but they had  a separate refugium for no3 po4 export, I think carbon dosing. If they really never changed water, then I'd say the concept of Triton can absolutely be implemented successfully.

I was just curious of the price and long term use. But after everyone’s input I think I’m just gonna stick with a good old water change system that I know works!

Back