Triton test results

mvm

Market
Reaction score
My test results came back with an alarming level on Tin?? I have a window frame for my mesh top. I assume it's made out of alumimum. It's a rimless tank and the water occasionally splashes up when my tunze ramps up. Any thoughts?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

I was curious because of the aluminum. I was using phosguard and my aluminum levels with my triton test were pretty dang high.

I don't know that I would be concerned. I know that your fish tank isn't an ocean, but seawater typically has 1-10ppm tin, where you've got less than 1 ppm. It's pretty essential to quite a few species of shellfish as well (clams, scallops, mussels, oysters) and my guess is that's where you are getting a read of tin from. Tin can be extremely toxic, but we are talking about 100ppm+ and you are pretty far from that.

Randy Holmes Farley has been looking into elevated levels of Tin (Sn) that people are reporting as showing up in their Triton tests. I came across one of his polls recently on Reef Central, you might want to look into what he is finding. Last I heard he was seeing if there was a correlation between new PVC and elevated Sn levels, but I do not think that he has been able to establish a direct correlation between the two. Others have suggested metal pipe clamps and certain pumps such as Jebao DC pumps, etc... Probably going to take some investigative work on your end to start to rule out the source(s) of Sn.

Very interesting about the correlation w pvc pipe. I've never considered pic a potential threat.... Interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PVC is polyvinyl chloride.

The structure of vinyl chloride is CH2=CH-Cl

The polymer is CH3-CH(Cl)- [-CH2-CH(Cl)-]n-CH2-CH2Cl where n is an integer showing a repeating number of monomeric units.

Thus it is composed of three elements: C (carbon), H(hydrogen) and Cl (chlorine)

Where would Tin come from

SnowManSnow;1036081 wrote: PVC is polyvinyl chloride.

The structure of vinyl chloride is CH2=CH-Cl

The polymer is CH3-CH(Cl)- [-CH2-CH(Cl)-]n-CH2-CH2Cl where n is an integer showing a repeating number of monomeric units.

Thus it is composed of three elements: C (carbon), H(hydrogen) and Cl (chlorine)

Where would Tin come from

Even though PVC is called polymer vinyl chloride... if I shipped you PURE pvc, it would be brittle and would crack under the slightest of pressure. There are stabilizers that are used in pvc to give it it's strength and usability.

Used to be cadmium and lead a while back but now ALL pvc made in the states is solidified using tin stabilizers. Usually around 3-5% iirc. PVC also leaches pretty bad so i can see how tin can end up in the water column.

tbh op, i wouldnt worry about it. If it is brand new pvc or pvc under 3-5 years old, itll leach all its got and then be done. Either that or buy used pvc from a trailer park :D

I never heard of "tin poisoning"
good luck

Russ-IV;1036087 wrote: Even though PVC is called polymer vinyl chloride... if I shipped you PURE pvc, it would be brittle and would crack under the slightest of pressure. There are stabilizers that are used in pvc to give it it's strength and usability.

Used to be cadmium and lead a while back but now ALL pvc made in the states is solidified using tin stabilizers. Usually around 3-5% iirc. PVC also leaches pretty bad so i can see how tin can end up in the water column.

tbh op, i wouldnt worry about it. If it is brand new pvc or pvc under 3-5 years old, itll leach all its got and then be done. Either that or buy used pvc from a trailer park :D

I never heard of "tin poisoning"
good luck

Yep. And EVERY pvc brand has a different formula, so there's no telling what you have in your pvc. That's one of the major reasons it can't really be recycled. Re-purposed, yes.

So very interesting! Feed us more!

Starting with the leeching of these stabilizers. As almost every system I've come in contact with the pvc pipes start to become brittle beginning around year one.

Would love to hear what results come back from them analyzing real sea water, offshore.
I know we could never match any of the values on a synthetic designed saltmix, but I know some elements on certain levels would affect some and at some point would benefit others.
But that being said, I don't see how we can get away with elements that are present in hobby reef, while some would be present after being introduced intentionally (dosing additives that are produced with another minerals to make them blind together, food and all the fuss that just showed up recently with mayor coral/fish food producer's using certain elements to make-up&#12298;still on investigation&#12299;, etc,)
and others introduced without noticing or intention, or might be the reaction or corrosion, leaching elements (mentioned before: pvc. Magnet parts exposing due to premature enclosure cracking or defective parts, hand lotions, cosmetics)
Jmho, there's a lot to be discussed

If you wanted to rule it out and it mattered that much to you. Why not just make a PVC pipe with end caps, fill it with RO/DI water and store it for a week or 2.

then use something like this

http://www.heavymetalstest.com/_snkit.php">http://www.heavymetalstest.com/_snkit.php</a>

and see what you get.

Back