Tropic Marine Bio-Calcium tips/reviews

reeferkeifer

Market
Reaction score
I bought Tropic Marine Bio-Calcium to try out in my 90 gal. First mistake was I premixed it in a glass of RODI water to dissolve before I put it in the tank rather than putting it in dry right into the water in a high flow area. A little bubble over occurred... actually a lot. Also, the directions said that 1 scoop can treat 10 gal so I mixed 9 scoops. Yet the directions also say 1 scoop raised calcium by 28 ppm and Kh by 4. Finally, even after the bubble over stopped and I stirred it to dissolve as much as possible, it turned the tank super cloudy and I have a nice coat of white on my live rock (which can be blown off with a turkey baster). The cloudiness did go away after a little bit. Does anyone have any tips on how to use the stuff? Is putting it in dry in the sump a good idea? Does it really take 9 scoops? Seems a bit extreme.

Thanks,
Keith

I used bio-calcium for many years and for a one part additive it does work well..... it's just a pain to mix into the tank. Because it doesn't dissolve very fast, I would only add it slowly while stirring it in a sump. Never mix it in a separate container.... it will precipitate out causing all the white stuff on your rocks. Does it really take 9 scoops? Depends..... How much alk and calcium is your tank consuming per day and what do you want to raise it to? Raise it slowly.... I would raise it no more than 1 dkh per day. With a 90 gallon system I think you will be better served dosing with a two part.

Back