Trouble with pulsing xenia

skatzzz

Reaction score
My torch, hammer, leather and polyps are doing great but my xenia looks like its dying. It was actually doind well for 6 months and now it does not open up properly. Any advice?
Stephen

I had a large colony that did fine for several months then all of a sudden melted away in three days. Nothing else was affected. Still a mystery to me.

I think mine all get too much flow ? No idea really but I've had multiple colors and it all just shrivels up

Xenia is one of the most primitive of corals we keep. You need to keep your tank at a more dirty level compared to other corals- higher range nitrates/phosphates for Xenia optimal conditions. I find that feeding phyto regularly into the system keeps Xenia very happy. Also, check the flow where you have placed it.

I got two stalks of pulsing from Jin in November. Superglued them both to a small rock. I don't really have a low flow area of my tank, so wasn't really sure what would happen.

These only pulse when I turn off the pumps, otherwise they're getting gently blown around. As you can see... it's grown just a bit. Last I counted was 9 heads on the rock.

Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 10.42.43 AM.png

This is the softball sized rock I got from @Steve Burton back in September. This is not the pulsing type, but it seems to love the high flow. It's right below the gyre so it's waving in the wind like grass tufts in Kansas.

This colony has grown tremendously and dropped little arms all over the tank. I see why folks find them a nuisance, but I like it. I've placed a couple of the polyps onto small rocks and turned them into combo rocks with mushrooms or palys.

This Spring I'm planning on breaking this rock into smaller pieces (if I can) and give it away to members who want this weed.

Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 10.42.55 AM.png

Thanks everybody. It seems that for some it grows like weeds and others can't keep it alive. Mine was a frag that 4x in size in about 3 months, stayed the same about 3 months and now is all shriveled up. The part that amazes me is that all my other corals are doing better than ever, so I really don't want to mess with the tank too much.

• Sad
Reactions: bzb
Sometimes it just be like that. I have no explanation why I can’t keep candy canes.

Thanks everybody. It seems that for some it grows like weeds and others can't keep it alive. Mine was a frag that 4x in size in about 3 months, stayed the same about 3 months and now is all shriveled up. The part that amazes me is that all my other corals are doing better than ever, so I really don't want to mess with the tank too much.
My thoughts exactly, if my biggest problem is Xenia won't grow then so be it.

Back