True crabs

kingnem

Reaction score
Ok so im heading down to florida for vacation and i know theres a species of true crab called the gaudy clown crab iplan to find one or two does anyone know of theese crabs and there requirements? I know they eat zoanthids so cant keep thoose but anything else i should know? Also looking at calico shamefaced crab any info would be great

The first thing you should know is that you can't take anything from Florida waters without a license. If caught, they can take everything including the vehicle you're in.

I know the rules and regulations im asking for info on the crabs themselves i purchased a one year liscence for non residents as i go down there ocassionally to look for gobies but i just found out about this type of true crab and was wondering if anyone had info on it or the shamefaced crab

Yeah please be very careful taking anything out of the ocean directly.

Also I've been going to Florida my entire live and I usually critter hunt for fun... I've never seen a "gaudy clown crab" down there. That is not something you will find crawling around on a tourist/resort beach. You would probably have to get way off the beaten path to find em. From my understand these are more of a Caribbean crab not a Florida crab.

You might be able to find the Calico ones down there. I have seen those from time to time. Not a good reef crab at all. While these guys are technically reef safe they will trample and knock over coral like no-ones business. The get large as well so be ready for a decent amount of waste. We sell these guys from time to time for like $15-20.

But once again. It is illegal to pull anything out of the ocean with out a license. Make sure that a $15-20 crab is worth the risk for you!

I saw that calico's get pretty large thats why i was interested in the gaudy clown considering they dont get larger than an inch and are very interesting looking also that theyre something not every reef will have

Some info here http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/aquarium-species/">http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/aquarium-species/</a>

Must have a Recreational saltwater fishing license and can not sell what you collect, recreational only.

Kingnem;1089116 wrote: I saw that calico's get pretty large thats why i was interested in the gaudy clown considering they dont get larger than an inch and are very interesting looking also that theyre something not every reef will have

Best of luck! Hopefully you are planning on diving. I doubt you will find them right off shore. From what I remember these guys are tiny! Post what you find! =)

Thank you everyone for your help, does anyone need anything from down there?,planning on diving to get ricordeas, zoas ,and my crabs no charge of course!

hey just a heads up i came across this thread while googling the crab and from what it says the crab is not reef safe. if you find any you might have to keep it in a sump or refugium. also i saw in the rules where there is a 2 day possession limit, which i assume means you're only allowed to keep what you land for 2 days and have to put it back after. im sure it wouldn't be hard to get away with bringing them home just don't get pulled over on the way lol. if you find anything cool while you're down there make sure to take pics so we can see!

The 2 day possesion means you can only have the legal limit of 40 animals corals or sponges in your posession at any time

Back