Trying something new

silver surfer

Market
Reaction score
I just added to my sump marine pure's bio media. Each sphere has around 240 sf of surface area. This product should allow me add more fish to the tank while keeping my ammonia 0ppm.

Here is a pic. I will let you know as I start adding fish to the system.
e2a3upu3.jpg
alt="" />
ype6yhuq.jpg
alt="" />

i like marine pure i have some of their block/plate style media in my sump. its expensive stuff but it works well.

Thought about the blocks. Picoreef any pics?
I just added mine and should take 2-3 weeks to start kicking in.

Silver Surfer;958010 wrote: Acro...Joking, right?

I edited my first response, as it would seem inappropriate unless you know I own an MRC sump as well. Yup...joking. I have a 155 gallon MRC sump. Love it.

FWIW, this type media works well, but what I would look out for is the media getting coated with organic film, reducing its efficiency. I think porous media like this and matrix might need a once a year soak in bleach or H2O2 to clean the outer surface and keep it working its best.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Silver Surfer;958006 wrote: Thought about the blocks. Picoreef any pics?
I just added mine and should take 2-3 weeks to start kicking in.

i could take some pics but you wouldnt see anything cause they're covered in caulerpa lol.
my buddy and i got the 4" thick block and cut it into 1" thick slices using his diamond bladed band saw and we took 2 slices each and they seem to work very well and its super easy for water to flow through it so you dont have to have it in a high flow area for it to work.

Acroholic;958009 wrote: I knew you'd say that!

i think we were all expecting it lol

I use about 3 gallons of matrix in my sump. The entire tank's water volume must pass through it. To reduce the build up of detritus and debris, I use a product like http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=5277&cmpid=11csegpl&ref=6111&subref=AA&CAWELAID=525405400&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=530005150000091290&cadevice=c">this</a>.

I cut it to exactly fit the compartment that holds the matrix. My sump design forces water to flow downward through the matrix unlike the MRC Biosump's design where it's flowing horizontally through it. I think that could be overcome though by making a frame to attach the floss to and sliding it down into the sump before the matrix section. Think of the same way your A/C filters work. I've noticed it has considerably cut down on the debris build up in the matrix.

MRC could probably start fabricating the sumps to have glides for this frame to slide into and sell a new filter frame option. If they didn't feel like making the frames themselves I'm sure someone could come up with a good filter frame. One where you can easy take the floss off to be thrown in the washer and a new one put on.

Back