Trying to make water changes easy

pbyrmartin

Market
Reaction score
I have an idea to add a drain valve to my setup
see pic below

basically I want to tap into my return line coming from my chiller in the Garage and put some kind of darin valve, so I can just open to let the water drain from sump during water changes.

The question I have is that with the drain valve close, will I lose alot of pressure going back to the tank in normal operation
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
301910=15653-150 gal layoutmod copy.jpg
>
301910=15653-150 gal layoutmod copy.jpg
class="gc-images" title="150 gal layoutmod copy.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

You shouldn't. after closing it to resume normal operation its should pressurerize back to normal flow.

no, I wouldn't think you would lose any pressure; it's like in your house-you've got several 'valves' in the forms of spikots, faucets, toilets, etc; and it's the same concept-so my guess would be def. not lose much if any pressure

I would also like to come see this 150g display you have. looks nice.

Kirru;301918 wrote: I would also like to come see this 150g display you have. looks nice.

ok

let me know when you want to

I live off Old Salem and Flat Shoals

I must warn you, there is not alot in the tank right now
I ignored it for too long and I lost mostly everything except for the fishes
I am almost finish cleaning out all the Mushroom and I am going to basically start doing mostly sps and a few softie's

Mockery;301979 wrote: I have to ask what did you draw that it that is cool!

Microsoft Visio 2000
I got it while I was doing my Cisco Training a will back
they use it to do IT mark up

Is your display on the same floor as your basement/garage? If so-

1. Add a 1.5" drain line above your water level in your sump.
2. Add a 'T' to the intake of your pump.
3. Add a ball valve(a) on the water exiting the sump before the new 'T'
4. Add a ball valve(b) to the branch of the 'T'
5. Run from ball valve(b) a line to the bottom of your water change container.

When you switch the ball valves, you will stop drawing from the sump and start drawing from the R/O tank. This will cause your sump level to rise as the new water enters the display. The water will exit the sump via the 1.5" drain as it rises.

It's not a perfect system as it does mix some new water with old, but it's very simple to operate and assures you'll never have your sump overflow. It also keeps the number of pumps you have running down. You can install the 1.5" drain line below your water level if you use a ball valve to regulate it.

pbyrmartin;301955 wrote: ok

let me know when you want to

I live off Old Salem and Flat Shoals

I must warn you, there is not alot in the tank right now
I ignored it for too long and I lost mostly everything except for the fishes
I am almost finish cleaning out all the Mushroom and I am going to basically start doing mostly sps and a few softie's

Kool, I get on Old salem to go to the Skate Rink right in newton, i work there. You keeping all them shrooms?

I like sps too but they grow so darn slow.

DannyBradley;302029 wrote: Is your display on the same floor as your basement/garage? If so-

1. Add a 1.5" drain line above your water level in your sump.
2. Add a 'T' to the intake of your pump.
3. Add a ball valve(a) on the water exiting the sump before the new 'T'
4. Add a ball valve(b) to the branch of the 'T'
5. Run from ball valve(b) a line to the bottom of your water change container.

When you switch the ball valves, you will stop drawing from the sump and start drawing from the R/O tank. This will cause your sump level to rise as the new water enters the display. The water will exit the sump via the 1.5" drain as it rises.

It's not a perfect system as it does mix some new water with old, but it's very simple to operate and assures you'll never have your sump overflow. It also keeps the number of pumps you have running down. You can install the 1.5" drain line below your water level if you use a ball valve to regulate it.

no
the display is on the first floor, the pipes going to the chiller is in the ceiling(drop ceiling) of the Basement to the Garage

Finally got the project done, it took some effort but it will pay off when I try to find an excuse not to do water changes, no more buckets
here are some pic’s
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
307230=15755-150 gal layout3.jpg
>
307230=15755-150 gal layout3.jpg
class="gc-images" title="150 gal layout3.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
307230=15752-DSC_0145.jpg
>
307230=15752-DSC_0145.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC_0145.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
307230=15753-DSC_0150.jpg
>
307230=15753-DSC_0150.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC_0150.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
307230=15754-DSC_0153.jpg
>
307230=15754-DSC_0153.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC_0153.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

aceheart1976;307285 wrote: i work in conyers, and wondering what you doing with the mushrooms lol. nice setup you got there too

thank you

well, I am scraping them off the rocks
most of them are attached to my base rock
I started to re-stock the tank with sps and I don't want to upset it too much.

aceheart1976;307852 wrote: if you want, you could chip a little piece of rock off from under them and sell them. i would be interested in a few myself

ok, I will try to remove them in one piece
but so far I was only able to remove one without damaging it
I will let you know

aceheart1976;307285 wrote: i work in conyers, and wondering what you doing with the mushrooms lol. nice setup you got there too

I save some softie's for you , and some button polyp
you welcome to them, PM me for pick up

Back