Tube Anemone

David D

Supporting
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Always appreciate advice from this group. I bought a tube anemone last weekend. Feel in love with how it looked and so beautiful. I usually research before I buy and bought without doing so. Now I'm concerned as I have researched..it has a pretty powerful sting and have it away from other corals but now concerned about my 2 clowns. Went to local fish store yesterday and he said to feed it a piece of shrimp once or twice a week so it's not hungry. Am I worry too much or should I get rid of it? Also have a pin cushion erchin that roams. Thanks in advance for any opinions.

The problem with tube anemones is not that they are “fish killers”, it is more that they grow and can have a span of almost a foot or 30 cm with their stinging tentacles causing it to be hard to keep in smaller tanks. They also prefer colder waters compared to where most people keep reef tanks 77-78 degrees.

Here is an old article on tube anemones that still has some useful information:

I've had a tube anemone for a long time now and it has only eaten one fish that was on verge of death as many anemones do. I will feed him a small piece of shrimp or krill once a month and once a week I will turn off all the flow and give him sinking fish pellets. They're so fun to feed, never had a problem. Mines tentacles did get long and when it got stressed from moving tanks he did release them and they're back and about 2 inches.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I've had a tube anemone for a long time now and it has only eaten one fish that was on verge of death as many anemones do. I will feed him a small piece of shrimp or krill once a month and once a week I will turn off all the flow and give him sinking fish pellets. They're so fun to feed, never had a problem. Mines tentacles did get long and when it got stressed from moving tanks he did release them and they're back and about 2 inches.

f8542081466d5676aa6082561bd77e6a.jpg

Thank you so much for the feedback with great info. Yours looks very much like mine. They are so fun to watch and love the way they move. Really didn't want to give up but have 2 clown fish I've had for a while and would be so guilty if the tube bothered or even ate. Very much appreciated you taking the time to respond. Kind of new at this so still feeling my way around.

Back